Chrome going away??

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
My wheel rep just left. He was telling me that the EPA (Everyone's Pain in the ***) is tightening down on the chrome and re-plating industry.
Apparently chrome is ending up in landfills as it's not a precious metal and is causing issues.
I dunno, I'm not savvy to the industry.
He tells me that a process called PVD is what is being used and to expect to see more and more of that. It's duller than chrome, but does shine up nice. You just cant get that super mirror finish.
I have been seeing a lot of moldings and wheels coming in that way the past couple years.

Just putting this out there.
As I said, I'm not to savvy on the topic, my wheel rep may have been blowing smoke. But he generally is a straight guy.

Would not surprise me. I had a metal finishing dept. in my business. Had full electro plating set up, nickel, copper , chrome, and silver. Plating baths were anywhere from 250 to 500 gal. Our effluent was cleaner than the city water coming in. That's how tight it had to be to stay in compliance. We put a Centrum vitamin in a liter of water and it would not pass the restrictions put on us. It is a hassle for sure. I believe in protecting the environment but the pendulum has swung a bit to far.

If chrome is going away and being replaced with something else, I'd be fairly skeptical as to how well it will hold up over time. I could live with the "less luster" but flaking, bubbling, peeling coatings that need constant refinishing will be a real PITA.

The aftermarket chrome has never seemed to hold up as well as OEM chrome. I've seen 50+ year old cars in the junk yards with perfect looking! original chrome bumpers. I've also seen aftermarket chrome wheels that were rusting within 12 months of purchase.

Spectra chrome seems to be a way to go, plus you can silver nitrate fiberglass bumpers for a sleeper.

As far as aftermarket chrome goes, i bet the bumpers from AMD have a decent copper and chrome plating as they are an authorized mopar repop part. Yes the cheap chrome taiwaneze wheels rust easily. Its all in what the spec for the part calls for in the manufacturing.

Theres cheap repop stuff, and good repop stuff.

Yeah, the good stuff (chrome plating) is first plated in copper, then chrome. I think the low end mfgs skip the copper plating and it doesn't last.

I always thought the good stuff was triple plated (copper->nickel->chrome)

The EPA always takes away our good ****... :finga:

They act like we've never been exposed to a class A carcinogen before... :pale:

As far as aftermarket chrome goes, i bet the bumpers from AMD have a decent copper and chrome plating as they are an authorized mopar repop part. Yes the cheap chrome taiwaneze wheels rust easily. Its all in what the spec for the part calls for in the manufacturing.

Lol. Only thing an authorized dealer means is that they paid Mopar enough Money to be allowed to say they are an authorized dealer.

I can't afford chrome anyway! New cars are devoid of chrome and what is there is mostly electro plate.... times they are a changin'

Lol. Only thing an authorized dealer means is that they paid Mopar enough Money to be allowed to say they are an authorized dealer.

My brother used to work at a bodyshop where the owner bought a "Authorized Studebaker" dealer sign for a buck and hung it in the office and told everybody that he was an authorized Studebaker parts dealer.... :wack:

-
Back