Chrysler 8 1/4 Sure Grip Centre

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got an issue with my 8 1/4 diff. I've got the diff at workshop having Sure Grip Centre and 3:55 gears put in. I got a call today from them saying that the Sure Grip hemisphere is incorrect. I'm quite sure its an 8 1/4 centre.. All the 8 1/4 diffs are virtually the same are they not? I'm going down there later to see whats going on... Just bizaare...

I believe there is a different carrier for different gear ratios. I think it is 3.21 and higher numerical gears use the same carrier.

The only things I can think of are:
1. different carriers depending which side of 2.45 you're on
2. went to 29-spline in '97, everything prior is 27-spline

I'm going to pop down there in an hour or two and find out what's going on. The diff is the existing 8 1/4 in my '76 Duster. I would say that it would have 2:7 or 2:9 gears in it. Unless the place I got the Sure Grip from gave me wrong hemisphere but I doubt it... Just unusual as when I saw the Sure Grip Centre it looked like the right one to me..

whatever happened with this? i heard that 2.41 gears is a different carrier than 2.71 and up... any truth to this?

whatever happened with this? i heard that 2.41 gears is a different carrier than 2.71 and up... any truth to this?

Yes it's true. You have to have the right carrier to use 2:74 or higher gears.

I am going to do the same thing with my 76 Volari 8 1/4 rear end . I have checked around and here is what I found on the one I want to buy. I have the 3.21 gears in mine non suregrip. I would sure like to find out for sure before I go and spend that kind of dough!

Get a grip.
Mopar Performance has designed these replacement Sure-Grip differential assemblies to be used with most Chrysler rear axles. They include an instruction sheet for high-performance applications, and are designed for gear ratios of 2.76:1 and higher.
Differential, Sure-Grip, Limited Slip, 27-Spline, Mopar, 8.25 in.,

-
Back