Chrysler electronic ignition tester.....

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is the coolest thing I picked up at the swap meet. Some fellow, non Mopar guy, walks up to me and asks if I like Dodges. I guess do to the Moparfest shirt, he had a good idea I did! Anyway he tells me he has some "Dodge stuff" and doesn't know anything about it. He just acquired it with some parts he got one time. He showed me this and it had a $10 sticker on it. Needless to say, it became mine instantly! Don't know if it works or is useful or not, but it's cool nonetheless! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 270
I almost picked one of these up on CL a couple months back. They wanted 50 for that one and it was in a lot worse shape and didnt appear to have any cables with it. I say you got a good score if it works or not.. I think its cool!

They brought them out as soon as they started with ECUs
Take a look through the Chrysler Master Tech series at Imperialclub.org In at least two of the pamphlets they cover testing the new ECUs. It will be booklets covering ignitions somewhere around '72

hey, I have one of those. the plastic is a little greener. works fine on the modules I've tried. need to get a couple dead ones to try... $10 is a great price...

of course you need to get it's older brother :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 174
Cool another one. Dang, that even has the Mopar emblem! Awesome. I'll keep my eys open for one of those too.

Miller Special Tools! Still supplies Chrysler with their special dealer required tools. Snap-On owns them now. Cheap, they are not! But it's all great stuff.
Cool score!

Back in the late 70's I purchased a Sears Penske Electronic Engine Analyzer. It works on all brands of cars up to about 1985.

I purchased a Chrysler Cordoba with a 360 in it for $1500, because it had an intermittent electrical short. The car's ignition system would just shut off. The previous owner showed me a small stack of receipts he had from the local Chrysler dealer and a few other service outlets who had checked the car, but none of these places were able to identify and repair the problem.
After I purchased the car, I hooked it up to my analyzer. I ran the tests in sequence according to the book that came with it.
The results showed a faulty "Magnetic pick up coil". ( that's the little coil around the mag that feeds spark to the reluctor in the 1970-s-80's Chrysler electronic distributors.

Considering the number of people that the previous owner had researching the issue, the simple results seem to good to be true to me. I asked my Brother-in-law to run the series of tests again, without me. He did, and got the same finding.
A quick trip to the parts store and we found the magnetic pick up coil hanging on a carded display. It was less than $12.00.

I installed the new MPU Coil and kept the car for 4 months, without an issue. One day I brought the car to work and placed a "For Sale" sign it with my name and phone number. I sold the car that weekend for $2900.00 to a co worker. He drove it every day for about 5 years and it never had another ignition issue in all that time.

-
Back