Chrysler Sunbeam

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Have any of you guys heard or seen this Chrysler model or is it a European thing.
Thinking it would be cool to make a "Colt" modifying of the car.
Sorry about the dark pic.

0196250732.jpg

Would like to see a better picture of the car. I am a fond follower of the Sunbeam Tiger but not sure of the one you are posting. The Tiger had a 289 installed in it.

Have any of you guys heard or seen this Chrysler model or is it a European thing.
Thinking it would be cool to make a "Colt" modifying of the car.
Sorry about the dark pic.

Sunbeam was part of the Rootes Group in England and was owned a one time by Chrysler.

From WikiPedia...
The Rootes Group was a British automobile manufacturer, which was based in the Midlands and south of England. Rootes was the parent company of many well-known British marques, including Hillman, Humber, Singer, Sunbeam, Talbot, Commer and Karrier. At its height Rootes had plants in the midlands at Coventry and Birmingham, in the south at Acton, Luton, Dunstable and Maidstone, and in Scotland at Linwood. The company no longer exists, having been taken over in stages by Chrysler, and subsequently sold to Peugeot and, in part, Renault.

More here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootes

Below....The Chrysler Sunbeam Talbot kept the company buoyant in the 1970's.

180px-Talbot_sunbeam_lotus.jpg

Would like to see a better picture of the car. I am a fond follower of the Sunbeam Tiger but not sure of the one you are posting. The Tiger had a 289 installed in it.
Didn't one of those Sunbeam Tigers also come with a 383?
Years ago I remember seeing one with the little big block in it.

Didn't one of those Sunbeam Tigers also come with a 383?
Years ago I remember seeing one with the little big block in it.

Never say never when it comes to Mopar, BUT, if you've ever seen under the "bonnet" of a Tiger, you'd see there is NO room for a 383. The tiny 260/289/302 is a very tight fit.

Could you be thinking of the Jensen Interceptor? They came with 383's and 440's.

Looks like the original picture is of a Hillman Avenger - sold as a Plymouth Cricket in the US for a couple of years and possibly under other names elsewhere. I think it'd be pretty cool with a V8 and I'm pretty sure they had rack and pinion steering by then so there should be reasonable amount of space under the hood.

Looks like what we got as the Plymouth Cricket in '71 and '72. The unibody structure was almost nonexistent and by the time you add enough structure to handle a V8, the weight is up there in the Dart/Valiant range.

Ya'll shoulda seen the "facel vega" I helped restore,Made in paris france,tubular steel frame,massive aluminum drum brakes,full instrumentation and............ 392 HEMI POWERED!!!!!well back to the thread I'd also like to see better pic's of the lil' mopar and if your gonna do it 'DEW IT!!! wouldn't matter if it was a cortina with a small or big block mopar in it it'd still be kewl!!! and he's right on the money about never say never,i can't remember the book I saw it in but mopar made the first monster truck back in the mid 60's also that thing had like 55" tall mud tires right out of the factory,not sure of it's intended pupose but I saw it! and it was awesome!!!
Never say never when it comes to Mopar, BUT, if you've ever seen under the "bonnet" of a Tiger, you'd see there is NO room for a 383. The tiny 260/289/302 is a very tight fit.

Could you be thinking of the Jensen Interceptor? They came with 383's and 440's.

I am pretty sure it was a Tiger. But then again it was maybe 25 years ago, so I could be wrong.
I'll have to fish through my old photos and see if I ever took a picture of it.

Thanks for all the replys guys and for the photoshop :notworth:
I´ll hopefully get a reply from the guys who´s having these two cars for sale.
Will try to get some better pics.

As 65 Val said it's pretty tight in there. I read that the demise of the Sunbeam Tiger was Chrysler bought out Sunbeam and had to do warranty work on the 289 Ford motors in them. They couldn't fit a 273 in one so they did away with the Tiger. But, where ther's a will, and a cutting torch, there's a way. With a lot of work someone may have got a 383 in there, it just wasn't a factory job, Joe.

Got some pics of the car today. Does any of you guys recognize this model?
I believe I´ll buy this one, not that I need another project but....
what the h*ck. He´s asking $350 for it.

SANY0210.JPG

SANY0211.JPG

SANY0213.JPG

she's a cutie aint she! never seen one before,but i sure do like it!looks like fun to me.get ready,get set,get a torch!!

Yep. That's a Cricket. I remember seeing them brand new in the Plymouth showroom. Pretty cool! As for the Sunbeam Tiger (at times driven by Maxwell Smart in "Get Smart) that was a 260 small block Ford powered car. Chrysler bought Rootes in the '60s and ended the Tiger 'coz they had no small V-8 with a Front mounted distributor. We had a Sunbeam Alpine GT when I was in High School ( Dad bought some strange cars.....)

-
Back