Chrysler turquoise spray paint

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I am looking at this color for the 318 I am in the process of assembling. Summit has VHT SP126 "early chrysler blue" supposedly this is correct for 1960-1969. Can I rightly assume this is the turquoise blue? Anybody use the VHT SP126. I'd hate like hell to order 3-4 cans and it not be right. I used to be able to buy this at the auto parts store years ago.

Thanks in advance
Matt

There is Blue and there is Turquoise. Reading the reviews, I'm not sure which one you'll get as it seems a mixed bag.

eng-colors.jpg

Hot rodded 77 318 I am dressing up to appear like a 69 340 for a 69 barracuda. I am told that either turquoise or red I believe were both used that year on the 340. Car will be painted red, so I would prefer the turquoise.

Last edited:
Hot rodded 77 318 I am dressing up to appear like a 69 340 for a 69 barracuda. I am told that either turquoise or red I believe were both used that year on the 340. Car will be painted red, so I would prefer the turquoise.
And I was gonna change my answer since you said 318. What I showed ^^^^ is correct for a '69 x 340 unless it was a very early build car that got a Red one...

I can make it look any shade you want.. lol.. but it's as correct as I could reference.
1969dartcleanupweek19.5 014.JPG

1969dartcleanupweek18.5 013.JPG

1969dartcleanupweek18.5 014.JPG

1969dartcleanupweek18.5 015.JPG

Heres the VHT early chrysler blue can, vs the color square from the OER turquoise. Looks very close. I'm used to using the VHT products, and get good long lasting results. Plus the cost is in my range at $50 for 4 cans. The OER stuff is really pricey.

Screenshot_20230207-060403_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230207-060345_Samsung Internet.jpg

Oooooh, the "what color were the early 340's" worm can.

:popcorn:

I recommend checking out por15 engine enamel. I believe they had Chrysler turquoise the last time I checked.

I recommend checking out por15 engine enamel. I believe they had Chrysler turquoise the last time I checked.
Dont want to pay their price for a pint, then gotta shoot it out of a spray gun. Prefer rattle can and no gun clean up. I did the Por15 high heat cast grey with a preval sprayer and they turned out nice, but that's dull cast iron grey. That's pretty easy to do with a preval and not screw it up.

Last edited:
The TSB I have says that all 340's built after 9-9-1968 will be turquoise, so some were probably red at the beginning. I have never seen a TSB that says they were orange at the end of 69 production, but some say they were...

Dont want to pay their price for a pint, then gotta shoot it out of a spray gun. Prefer rattle can and no gun clean up. I did the Por15 high heat cast grey with a preval sprayer and they turned out nice, but that's dull cast iron grey. That's pretty easy to do with a preval and not screw it up.

I'm pretty sure a pint is cheaper than the $50 you're willing to spend on rattle cans. I hate cleaning my gun too but it's 10 minutes for the peace of mind that you don't have to redo it for years.

None of the parts store canned paints are right. I've used VHT and Duplicolor both and with each brand, I got vastly different shades from three cans of each. Really pissed me off. ....and it was supposed to be the Chrysler turquoise, too.

You can brush it too. Just make sure the surface is not too cold.

I've mentioned it before, but be cautious comparing a 40yr-old engine/part to some paint sprayed fresh out of a gun/can, the paint darkens as it seasons & changes shade as well.

-
Back