Chrysler Valiant questions...

-

shrk2thgrl

Reaction score
I know a fair amount about the US versions of the A-bodies (about as much as most enthusiasts). I know some about the Canadian and Mexican models too but what I don't seem to know a lot about is the Australian and New Zealand versions. Is there a good website that goes into detail about what they had for options and what they used for their drive trains and such?

I personally am curious what did they have for rear ends? Did they use a 7 1/4", 8 1/4" and 8 3/4" like in the US or were they some other size and style?

What about the brakes and the electronic ignition? Were they too just like what was used here or were they also different?

What about their 4spd's.. What were they?..

I have search the internet but could not find exactly what I was looking for. I am hoping someone here could suggest a good source to use to research out my questions.

Thanks in advance, Shrk2thgrl

I found a great website for the Australian valiants at www.moparmarketforum.com I have been doing some research on these as I have a South African Valiant on its way to the states. The South African Valiants starting in 1972, came from Australia, and were assembled in SA. They also didn't use the Australian Hemi Six, but were all fitted with a slant six. Before 1972 the Valiants were the same body as we have here, but in 1970 they switched over to the Dart body style, and called it a Valiant.

There is also a mopar registar site for NZ dont have it at present has a forum as well from memory. Haven't joined as yet waiting till we ship car back home in July.

I like those 69 Dart Wagons and the UTE's... Really weird they didn't sell either of those here in the states? If our parts would interchange with one of those I would love to import one. Kind of why I am looking into what the story is with the Chrysler Valiant line.

There are a couple of members here from Australia. Maybe they can help you.

Oh yeah, Welcome to FABO.

Most alll interchange minus the obvious, steering and dash parts. The rear end in my 74 is a borg warner piece.

So doing some more extensive searching I found out there was a 7.5" rear end Borg Warner and believe it was the weaker rear end? And that there was a more stout rear end that came out in the mid 70's (Baby Dana?) to handle the Hemi 6's? If that is right what was the size of that rear end if anyone knows??

-
Back