Cieaning up Edelbrock Aluminum heads?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Getting ready to clean up the new Eddy heads I picked up. The areas pictured below appear to have a thin ridge that appears to not have been opened up completely. While I can see where they opened the areas up with a router but looks like there's a bit of material I could clean up. Anyone know if that's by design or should I go ahead and open/clean the areas up? Don't bother?

Thanks as always

20231225_132848.jpg

20231225_132843.jpg

20231225_132829.jpg

A 1/4" rat tail bastard would clean that up nicely. I have seen stock heads worse than that.

Thanks. Yeah I am happy with the heads from my initial inspection. Just don't want to grind away anything I may need later lol. Thanks again for for the reply. Much appreciated.

I would clean them up as stated earlier. Some have even said that what ever cylinder heads that you buy should be checked out by your machine shop

I agree because things like how well the valve is sealing and the valve run out most can’t check. Other things like, if the surface is flat and true, valve stem height is right and equal and the springs installed height is correct or needs a shimming, a bunch here can do it or most of it.

If there’s any doubt, send it in to be sure. If not just for the piece of mind.

The worst thing I ever had from Edelbrock was some spring shimming had to be done. NO big whoop. You just need one of these below.

image.jpg

That ridge is casting flash. It's not supposed to be there in the design, but its not hurting anything technically; its just a reminent of the casting process. I am going to get rid of all of that on my new Edelbrocks along with a lot of other post processing.
Thanks for posting the pictures- I can see your heads have the same fire deck porosity mine do so that's at least another data point for me.

Hey Folks,

Getting ready to clean up the new Eddy heads I picked up. The areas pictured below appear to have a thin ridge that appears to not have been opened up completely. While I can see where they opened the areas up with a router but looks like there's a bit of material I could clean up. Anyone know if that's by design or should I go ahead and open/clean the areas up? Don't bother?

Thanks as always

View attachment 1716184708

View attachment 1716184709

View attachment 1716184710
Have the Valve Job checked. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Grinding casting flash will reduce incipient cracks. Works on the block too and not only the inside. Probably not much of an issue on mild builds.

Pretty sure those are made in a permanent mold (hardened steel tooling). Edelbrock does permanent molds too, but not all parts are. From what I understand, many of the new parts are. Permanent molds run much quicker cycles and so are great for high volume parts.
Sand casting has a lot of drawbacks, but the tooling is so much cheaper (50-100x) than permanent molds that it persists for lower volume stuff. Easier to incorporate changes too if a company offers variations within a part family.
Woud love to see Edelbrock convert over though, would cut way down on cosmetic issues.

Pretty sure those are made in a permanent mold (hardened steel tooling). Edelbrock does permanent molds too, but not all parts are. From what I understand, many of the new parts are. Permanent molds run much quicker cycles and so are great for high volume parts.
Sand casting has a lot of drawbacks, but the tooling is so much cheaper (50-100x) than permanent molds that it persists for lower volume stuff. Easier to incorporate changes too if a company offers variations within a part family.
Woud love to see Edelbrock convert over though, would cut way down on cosmetic issues.

From my dealing with them on the Victor340 issues not once but twice they seem to have an open ear. I just don’t have the time to take on every battle as it takes dedication to make calls, email's, pictures, phone calls, and then following up. It’s not a one and done issue. I probably had five hours tied up on two Victor340 issues but they handled them both great. Milidon I tried real hard too as I’ve probably bought 5 small block pans over the years. Tom insisted that they didn’t change their pans even though I sent probably 15 pictures of both pans, old and new. A year later he sent me a free oil pan and it was as messed up as the one I started our conversation on. I’m done with them. I probably have 3-5 hours talking to TrickFlow starting before they even made a Mopar product. I will probably never buy another small block Mopar TrickFlow head after seeing the small azz valve seat they installed in their heads. A phone call and talk with two employees lead to zero answers. If you young guys don’t step up your game you will keep getting crap. Us old timers fought our battles and are dying off. Your up.

-
Back