CL find... 68 GTS

-
So... I spoke with the owner.

Yesterday he sent me texts claiming a guy was there offering to buy the car for 7500... i said he should sell it. Then he claims the buyer can only pay half now and the rest later... Then he asks what I would offer and I say like 6k.

After we talked a little more he tells me the engine will need a valve job and cam... So, basically the engine needs a rebuild. Also, he never registered the car after he acquired it.

This morning he sends me texts saying 6k one time deal this weekend. I called him back and said no thanks and good luck with the sale.

Finding a dart has become very frustrating... Next.

So... I spoke with the owner.

Yesterday he sent me texts claiming a guy was there offering to buy the car for 7500... i said he should sell it. Then he claims the buyer can only pay half now and the rest later... Then he asks what I would offer and I say like 6k.

After we talked a little more he tells me the engine will need a valve job and cam... So, basically the engine needs a rebuild. Also, he never registered the car after he acquired it.

This morning he sends me texts saying 6k one time deal this weekend. I called him back and said no thanks and good luck with the sale.

Finding a dart has become very frustrating... Next.

id text him back and say you got $4500. one time offer this weekend only. bet he bites.

Are you serious? That is a slant sick car with a crappy paint job, worth every penny of about $1500.

i didn't say it was worth what they were assing,just that it wasn't a bad looking car.i didn't go and inspect it with a microscope....just took a quick peek at it on my 17" screen and stated a quick opinion...
mike

id text him back and say you got $4500. one time offer this weekend only. bet he bites.

i thought about doing that... only hitch is can't move the car legally without contacting DMV and getting a special permit first.

i thought about doing that... only hitch is can't move the car legally without contacting DMV and getting a special permit first.

thats a weak *** excuse. if you want it you will go get it. lol if that guy sees cash he will be tripping over himself to get to it. it is a pretty cool project. if you want to start a project from the ground up your not gonna find one that is cooler when done.

I think to say that numbers matching means nothing in an A body isn't a realistic statement for all. If you are talking about a real big block a body 2 door or conv than I think having the original engine, tranny, rear end makes a big difference. In particular the real 4 speed cars pull a premium. There aren't many real big block A bodies out there and they will always be worth money. The question is how much based on the market. Another thing is that the parts on these cars are very expensive and hard to find so having to source the correct radiator, k frame, disk brakes, manifolds, valve covers and on and on can be very difficult and expensive. If the car is missing a lot of those parts the price drops big time. Obviously there are varying opinions on modifying or chopping up a real big block A body car. I myself would never do it and think it is a bit harsh to do so. There are quite a bit more slants, 318, or 273 cars out there and I know many feel it's mine so I can do as I please. That is the owners privilege but it pains me to see a legit car butchered when it can be saved. Just my 2 cents.

Carl

who cares about the mechanical condition ,i can rebuild a stock 340 for under 2k and throw the car on my trailer to get it home,the real question is there a fendertag and does it need any panel replacment from rust?

If he has no extra parts to go with it, it's just what is shown there, then somewhere between $4-5k might be about right. Toward the lower end if it's not matching #'s, and maybe even less depending on the real condition of the body. As the cliche goes, it's all about what someone will pay. The condition of the body makes a huge difference in price, since bodywork is expensive, and it's impossible to tell from those pics how the body really is. If it's super straight and solid everywhere, then maybe even a bit more than $5k.

I think the only real reason that matching #'s isn't as big of a deal with A-bodies as it is with B and E bodies is because the overall value of the car is typically less, so therefore, the % difference in value it makes isn't as great in dollars. But a lot of the factory hi-po cars had their engines swapped at some point, so in any body style it's not nearly as common to be matching #'s. It totally depends on the collector/buyer. Some don't care at all. I (and most) don't care if it wasn't a factory hi-po car of course, but if it is, I think it's cool, and would pay more for it. Of course, I'm biased, but I thought that before also.

Seller has decided to keep it.

He just sent me this text... I'm gonna drop 1500 into it start driving it and enjoy it. Good luck with your search you missed out buddy...lol

I agree with his sentiment to drop some $ into it and cruise it around and enjoy it looking like it does. That's cool. But I think he's gonna hit that $1500 figure REAL quick, and his little dig at the end shows that he's an a-hole.

And another thing... how could he not know if it's matching #'s or not when trying to sell it. Takes a few minutes to check and it's a nice thing to be able to tell people either way. My guess is he's either going to keep trying to sell it (for too much money), or the car is never going to move again as long as he owns it.

yeah...that seller (of the gts)seems like a douche.

That car was for sale a couple years ago in Riverside. Not sure if it's the same owner now. I never saw the car in person just on craigslist. Not much information on the car back then either.

some pics of what might have been...

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Ill tell you what, yes its a mess but if there is NO RUST and never been wrecked its a deal,of coarse it will need at least 10 to 15k to make it a nice car, id gladly pat the 6k for it. Can who ever pm me the guys # or email and ill talk to him.

The old saying there is a *** for every seat holds true, I bought the rough GtS that Zhandfull (pics) had and sold it for a bit more than I paid for it without spending any real money on it so im not that much of a sucker then?.

These cars are very few and far between now adays, and im amazed at you guys in the rust belt putting it down IMO

Attachments

• 68%20Dart%20GTS%20018.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 039.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 043 (Medium).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 037 (Medium).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 040 (Medium).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 039 (Medium).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 244
That car was for sale a couple years ago in Riverside. Not sure if it's the same owner now. I never saw the car in person just on craigslist. Not much information on the car back then either.

the owner said he's had it about ten years... got it from the pamona swap meet.

hey joe, do you want the guys number to help me out or are you looking to get it for yourself?

Hey Joe, your Dart is sick. If you ever want to sell it........

I bet you could still snap it up for 5K put a few grand in the motor for a nice stocker rebuild and have a cool cruiser for sure. You should work on the seller some more. If you need a ride my ramp truck will pluck it for you and I will deliver it to you for gas money.

I have a soft spot in my heart for green GTSs. This is my Dads 68 when it was new.

Attachments

• sc00008be4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 207
  • sc00001ec5.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 208
  • sc0000a7e5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 225
turbodart68... awesome pics from back in the day! where did you grow up? right now i'm gonna chill out on the search. if i ever find a dart i want i will hit ya up for your ramp truck... very generous on your part. i will gladly pay you gas plus what ever it would cost me to get a hauler from uhaul.

Ill tell you what, yes its a mess but if there is NO RUST and never been wrecked its a deal,of coarse it will need at least 10 to 15k to make it a nice car, id gladly pat the 6k for it. Can who ever pm me the guys # or email and ill talk to him.

The old saying there is a *** for every seat holds true, I bought the rough GtS that Zhandfull (pics) had and sold it for a bit more than I paid for it without spending any real money on it so im not that much of a sucker then?.

These cars are very few and far between now adays, and im amazed at you guys in the rust belt putting it down IMO

I AGREE !!!

Your maroon 68 GTS does have a number of expensive and great condition parts MORE than this green GTS. But you and someone else before you, paid about $2500 more than this green GTS that was offered at $6K. Looks like the green car is rust free also, and really straight except for the ding in the driver side of the hood.

BUT your maroon 68 GTS is a air conditioning car, that dings value a little though.

Maroon GTS vs Green GTS.
From picture posted and my own pictures of the maroon GTS from seeing the car in person. w2360Duster, please make any corrections

Major things missing on the green GTS:
  • air cleaner
  • 340 exhaust manifolds
  • 340 driver side heat sheild (most people don't bother putting back)
  • Hood molding
  • Buildsheet??

Major differences better parts condition of maroon GTS
  • perfect door panels
  • perfect dash
  • unripped passenger and back seat covers, but drivers bucket is still ripped
  • perfect hood

Green GTS does have a $150 fan shroud that was missing on the Maroon GTS. The rear GTS panel was not on the maroon GTS, was it missing?

So do all those parts add up to $2500+ ?

This is a perfect case of a car that buyers can't see the true core or potential of a car through the mess. Like the flip opposite of perfumed pig.

For instance, the seats looks real good on the maroon car. BUT the driver side has a tears and rips in it. So you will have to replace that. And the come in pairs anyway. And if you have two brand new front seats, the 40 year old rears will look "off". 90% in the end, the seat cover repair bill will be about the same as the "trashed looking" seats in the green GTS.

Whether this Green GTS is a Good, Bad, or Indifferent "buy". It might not be the "right" car/project for a particular buyer.

If you get a good deal on a project and it just sits at your house and you never get it running, what is the point?

Picutures of the very comparable Maroon GTS from Spring Fling 2011 that is also in So Cal general area as the Green GTS offered on CL. The maroon GTS was on CL about a year later for few hundred more or so.

This car sold for advertised price. And zhandfull said he could have sold it many more times later in the day.

Attachments

• SF11SatSWallSm073.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 188
  • SF11SatSWallSm072.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 180
  • SF11SatSWallSm071.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 213
  • SF11SatSWallSm070.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 185
  • SF11SatSWallSm069.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 199
  • SF11SatSWallSm068.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 204
  • SF11SatSWallSm067.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 189
  • SF11SatSWallSm066.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 198
  • SF11SatSWallSm065.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 197
  • SF11SatSWallSm075.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 199
Prices have always varied on similar cars. It's all speculation until someone ponies up some cash and the seller agrees to that price and the papers are signed.

It's true that for much of it, like the seat covers, don't much matter since they need replacing either way, but usable vs unusable (for a driver) will still make some difference in price to some people. It's real hard to tell from the pictures, but the maroon car appears to me to be in overall better condition, and more complete, plus we know it's numbers matching. All that adds some value. How much? Who knows. Until the papers are signed, all speculation.

-
Back