CL find... 68 GTS

-
Look at the interior on that maroon car! Nice dash pad, holy cow. Looks like it would clean up pretty nice for a driver or survivor-type interior. Has the GTS door panel emblems too. That looks like a real nice car to restore.

Hey Joe, your Dart is sick. If you ever want to sell it........
Turbodart68 is that directed to me or Joedarto? I wound up selling the maroon 68 about 6 months ago and would like a 68/69 GtS again.

AutoX Steve I really think the body condition of the Green 68 could possibly be better than the maroon one, I found out a partial 1/4 was replaced on the passenger side, had a broken hood hinge which was no big deal really.

Even though the interior of the maroon one is better the drivers seat and rear seat needed to be redone as well as the headliner and carpet were missing and the door panels were drivers quality.

The engine had low compression on (40 psi) #2 cylinder but that thing did run like a 340 should with the plug freshened up and for 139k the trans would bark 2nd gear two.

Yes I wasn't keen at all on the A/C either and would rather it wasn't and like how the green one does not.

I would still be interested in the green one if it still has the 340 in which im skeptical of, even thought it needs what has been listed as missing. I think it is quite equal in condtion even though I doubt it runs also but I really don't care as long as no rods out the pan or block.

So joedarto care to pm me the guys info or???

I have a 68 340 engine that ,s looking for a for a 68 GtS LOL, I bought this project from migsbigs and hope to flip it after considerable work. The 68 340engine was in the Demon.

Attachments

• IMG_0790 (Medium).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0797 (Medium).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0871 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0751 (Medium).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 264
Yeah that was meant for you!! I am really sad that I missed out on that one! Do you know the guy who bought it?

Turbodart68, yes I do know him (he lives in the valley) and I think he will sell it, were not seeing eye to eye but I will get the message to him from AndyKorodi on the board or you can message Andy.

Look at the interior on that maroon car! Nice dash pad, holy cow. Looks like it would clean up pretty nice for a driver or survivor-type interior. Has the GTS door panel emblems too. That looks like a real nice car to restore.

It's true that for much of it, like the seat covers, don't much matter since they need replacing either way, but usable vs unusable (for a driver) will still make some difference in price to some people. It's real hard to tell from the pictures, but the maroon car appears to me to be in overall better condition, and more complete, plus we know it's numbers matching. All that adds some value. How much? Who knows. Until the papers are signed, all speculation.

Thing is the maroon GTS sold twice on the open public market for nearly the same money and also same location (so cal). And when it first sold at Spring Fling early in the morning there were others after that offered to buy it at that price too. I think that is about as good comparsion for market value as possible.

Yes there are some very good useable parts on the maroon car even if they would be replaced during a full resto. BUT there is a $2500 price difference in the two cars. Mostly soft trim. And when you replace those soft trim parts, you get new supple not faded parts.

Needing imediate replacement on Green GTS to make like Maroon GTS:
  • 340 manifolds: $400
  • 68 GTS front and rear door panels: $432.25
  • 68 GTS front buckets and rear seats: $400 fronts, $315 rear. $225 seat foam
  • 68 Dash pad: $250
  • 68 340 air cleaner: $100-125 used, $179 new
  • 67-69 front hood molding: $40-50 good used $150 new

Green GTS has that Maroon doesn't:
  • 68-69 Radiator shroud: $150 used (minus that from above numbers)

You add all the up and you net out at $2,047 using comparable to maroon GTS's used trim and air cleaner

Again, the maroon GTS has consistantly sold for over $8500. So that's a $2500 difference to work with. Now IF the green GTS does not have numbers motor and buildsheet. I think that is a $500-1000 hit on a $5000-$10,000 340 GTS like these. I also think an A/C GTS hurts value by about $300-500.

IMHO, when you add things up they are pretty darn close. And you would get fresh soft trim out of the cheaper green GTS.

Bottom line, w2360duster is asking for the phone number of the green GTS. It's not his first rodeo, he owned many of these cars, he works and has worked on them himself and understands them.

Right, that sounds like a good assessment, and about what I would say also given those factors. MY original comment and extremely loose price guesstimate was based on the idea that it's very hard (impossible, really) to tell body condition and such in a few pics over the internet, which is also part of the reason I think why you're getting such a wide range of commentary in this thread (that, and the unprofessional attitude of the seller of the green car didn't help with that commentary). Unknown body condition (how are the rails, floor pans etc of the green car), unknown matching #'s, etc, all play a factor in that wide guesstimate (in case you quoting me in particular had some significance, since I was not one of the ones saying or implying the green car was a piece of junk). Now that a few more details are known (and with some more pics), it's easier to narrow that potential price range down a little more. The only real way to assess a car's condition and value is in person. I think you (autoxcuda) and I are saying basically the same thing, in a different way, honestly. No way am I going to give a solid opinion on any car's value based on a few pics and a lot of missing details.

All the feed back on this has made me realize I made a poor decision not to go inspect the dart with a pocket full of cash.

I'm still very interested in buying this car so I won't be making another poor decision giving up the contact number before I have done all I can. Joe, if It doesn't work out for me I will let you know.

Right now I'm at the hospital about become a father! Woohoo!!!!

All the feed back on this has made me realize I made a poor decision not to go inspect the dart with a pocket full of cash.

I'm still very interested in buying this car so I won't be making another poor decision giving up the contact number before I have done all I can. Joe, if It doesn't work out for me I will let you know.

Yes. Dickering over the phone/text without looking at a car that only 20-30 minute drive away is a poor decision. Got to go look at it. Then price it.

Make a list of things it needs like I did to help you value it. And those things are solid objective numbers to help you bargain too. Whether you get buried and hosed on a project car is all about the initial purchase.

Good deal or not, it comes down to whether you have the experience, time, and facilities to take on a project like this.

If you decide you can't swing it or its too much hassle pm me. thank joe

The maroon GTS had a lot going for it. Numbers matching, build sheet, and best of all it was darn near rust free. I would also bet the motor was standard bore. I thought that would have made a awesome car to restore and drive. It had a nice color, ps, pb, and ac maybe not a stripped down muscle car but a darn nice cruiser. Oh and it had new tires, brakes were in decent working condition, fuel system was clean, and it was a driver. Here is a picture of the maroon GTS floor boards, not to bad!

The green GTS I'm just not sure about snow tires, performance valve covers, and a roached interior. It could be a numbers matching with a build sheet but I wouldn't bet on it.

Attachments

• 68 Dart GTS 011.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 68 Dart GTS 012.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 224
So... what's the deal with the maroon gts?? It has been sold twice in the last two years and the current owner is looking to sell it??

Seems to be an easy car to work on and drive. Why so many flips in a short time?

Steve, thanks for your input. Helps me put things into perspective.

If the The green gts was only a 20-30 minute trip i would have gone to check it out right away... unfortunately it is in riverside.

So... what's the deal with the maroon gts?? It has been sold twice in the last two years and the current owner is looking to sell it??

Seems to be an easy car to work on and drive. Why so many flips in a short time?

Steve, thanks for your input. Helps me put things into perspective.

If the The green gts was only a 20-30 minute trip i would have gone to check it out right away... unfortunately it is in riverside.

The real question is ,is when are you going to give the contact info

joe sold maroon gts to present owner cause he couldnt live without it now present owner is engaged and his fiance cant live with it LOL

I went and checked out the green GTS today. It's a real mess, I'm pretty positive that it is not the original motor or trans. Motor is wrong color with blue factory paint not red, also has later model exhaust manifolds. Transmission bell housing is windowed in the 12 o'clock position not sure how that could of happened but not good. Inner fender is rusted out where the battery mounts with a steel plate tack welded in it's place. Need anymore information let me know, price is $5,500.00 I didn't even bother making an offer.

I went and checked out the green GTS today. It's a real mess, I'm pretty positive that it is not the original motor or trans. Motor is wrong color with blue factory paint not red, also has later model exhaust manifolds. Transmission bell housing is windowed in the 12 o'clock position not sure how that could of happened but not good. Inner fender is rusted out where the battery mounts with a steel plate tack welded in it's place. Need anymore information let me know, price is $5,500.00 I didn't even bother making an offer.
Im gonna let the cat out of the bag, I did too Saturday. I even brought a trailer , I just couldn't stand to look at it!!! I swear a 500 lb homeless person must of lived in the front seat, actually is so smashed I don't think it could be fixed, their was a 1ft by 1ft hole in the fender apron where the battery goes , the hood has a big buckle in ithe front, its got homemade wiring, solinoids off fords and motorhomes and who knows what else mounted to the fender liners, it had a blowout on the drivers rear that bent the trunk floor up 3 inches. I could go on and on and on. I offered a gracious $3500 (at my better judgement) in which he refused. He is down to $3750 but??? I degress........

Im gonna let the cat out of the bag, I did too Saturday. I even brought a trailer , I just couldn't stand to look at it!!! I swear a 500 lb homeless person must of lived in the front seat, actually is so smashed I don't think it could be fixed, their was a 1ft by 1ft hole in the fender apron where the battery goes , the hood has a big buckle in ithe front, its got homemade wiring, solinoids off fords and motorhomes and who knows what else mounted to the fender liners, it had a blowout on the drivers rear that bent the trunk floor up 3 inches. I could go on and on and on. I offered a gracious $3500 (at my better judgement) in which he refused. He is down to $3750 but??? I degress........

That sounds even worse with the windowed 727 small block trans. Didn't know about the wiring. Sounds like a barely functional place to put the battery....

$2500-3000 car.

I should have taken a picture of the tail lights. Never seen anything like them before. The lenses that is, probably some ultra rare lens who knows. Come to think of it can they be inserted in reverse these actually were sticking out of the housing?

It was pretty bad all around. Not beyond repair just not a good car to restore to a stock condition in my opinion.

The windowed 727 trans may be from a van, thus not the matching numbers trans. Window was used to set timing.

I should have taken a picture of the tail lights. Never seen anything like them before. The lenses that is, probably some ultra rare lens who knows. Come to think of it can they be inserted in reverse these actually were sticking out of the housing?

It was pretty bad all around. Not beyond repair just not a good car to restore to a stock condition in my opinion.

I believe the lenses were nothing more than inverted, didn't know you can do that, ohh also the drivers door striker was completely blown out. It appears to have a 72 cast crank 340 engine.

Somebody bought it and is already flipping it on ebay. At least their not claiming the motor is original. Leaving a lot information out of the description though. Notice how they conveniently cut off the battery and all the crazy wiring on the fender in the motor picture. The under dash wiring was also total ****. I would be surprised if anything electrical worked on that car.

Very clean and straight but not one picture of the hood or other body damage. Lol...

Like I said the car is not beyond repair, the body is fairly solid. I still think somebody might be a little disappointed if buying without inspecting car first.

I should have gone to look at it and seen if my Demon engine was in the car. I heard it ended up in a 67-69 dart. Oh well

-
Back