Clamping the front of the springs?

-

999yards

Reaction score
Going to buy some Super Stock springs for my 66 Barracuda. I have read on here where a lot of you guys recommend unclamping the rear and clamping the front.

What do you clamp them with? Extra clamps when I order my springs?

How many?

Thanks

What are your intentions with the car?Drag race only, street strip, or just playing on the street?
How much power does it make, and how much tire do you have?
Those SS springs work well overall. I have a friend running 11.5-11.6 times (on street tires) and he didn't do anything but bolt them on.
Clamping the front section tightens them up making the front segment act as a torque arm, for lack of a better term, helping plant the tires even harder.
Unclamping the rear adds to it, allowing even more rise as it plants the tires.
I have a set that I haven't yet used, but the springs on my car now are the 6leaf XHD, with another half leaf segment added to the front and 2 extra clamps added on the front.
And yes, you can buy just the clamps.

SS springs only had one purpose in life...........drag racing.

I see. Not enough info.

Street/Strip purpose.
408 Stroker
W2 ported heads offset roller rockers. 2.08/1.65
Strong roller cam/ hyd. roller lifter 298/301 advertised 612lift (572lift with 1.5 rocker) 110lsa 106 degree
putting 10" tires on it after moving springs inboard.

8 3/4 rear 3.73 sure grip.

Figured since I was moving springs I may as well put Super Stock or the XHD.
I must admit that I will probably run it on the track just a couple times to see what I end up with. Just don't want to have an engine and not be able to make use of it because of traction issues.

Any harm in ridding around the streets with the rear part of the springs un-clamped? If so I suppose clamp them and take the clamps off for the occasional track run.

Are the XHD springs better suited for Street/Strip car?

Thanks

I have not been around drag racing for decades; do folks still use traction bars?

Lol, I'm wondering the same thing. Traction bars worked well 'in the day' to keep the rear end from twisting. One thing I always hated is the way guys would install them improperly... With the rubber snubber several inches from contact in the normal, stationary position.

I see. Not enough info.

Street/Strip purpose.
408 Stroker
W2 ported heads offset roller rockers. 2.08/1.65
Strong roller cam/ hyd. roller lifter 298/301 advertised 612lift (572lift with 1.5 rocker) 110lsa 106 degree
putting 10" tires on it after moving springs inboard.

8 3/4 rear 3.73 sure grip.

Figured since I was moving springs I may as well put Super Stock or the XHD.
I must admit that I will probably run it on the track just a couple times to see what I end up with. Just don't want to have an engine and not be able to make use of it because of traction issues.

Any harm in ridding around the streets with the rear part of the springs un-clamped? If so I suppose clamp them and take the clamps off for the occasional track run.

Are the XHD springs better suited for Street/Strip car?

Thanks

If yWhat's ,your combination ?

If I'm reading this correctly, although it sounds like more street/cruising use then the track, i'd still go with the SS springs vs the XHD's. That's a big powered car and I'd install them as is and get a feel for how they work with your combo before clamping...or unclamping anything at first.

This would really just be the tip of the iceberg as far as how it reacts. Bite/tires, Pinion angle, shocks, and experimentation will tell you what works as far as track use.

If I'm reading this correctly, although it sounds like more street/cruising use then the track, i'd still go with the SS springs vs the XHD's. That's a big powered car and I'd install them as is and get a feel for how they work with your combo before clamping...or unclamping anything at first.

This would really just be the tip of the iceberg as far as how it reacts. Bite/tires, Pinion angle, shocks, and experimentation will tell you what works as far as track use.

Ouch!(lol).... Rick is dead on... You need seat time,to tune the damn combination... (I am in, the same boat)......

Sorry guys, I disagree. If he's only gonna run it a couple of times at the strip, I would stay with the XHD springs. IMHO the SS springs are gonna ride too rough on the street. Plus you get the notorious lean which is fine on a race car, but awkward looking on a street car.

I plan on putting the same amount of horsepower down with 325/50 drag radials and am using the six leaf ESPO springs. They are pretty stiff, but not unbearable. If I have traction issues, I'm going to add Cal-trac bars.

Ouch!(lol).... Rick is dead on... You need seat time,to tune the damn combination... (I am in, the same boat)......

SS springs it is then. More seat time and testing sounds like a good learning experience.

Thanks guys

My choice of the SS springs was a personal decision for what I'd do. To me, cars like this will rarely be a real "comfortable" riding driver regardless of the spring used. Just looking at your engine combo leads me right to the best "hooking" leaf springs that are available to go in a light car that will easily produce 500+ hp and torque.

Good Luck with it.....That's gonna be one nasty A body roaming the streets. :thumleft:

Me too Bighammer...... can't wait to get my $500 set of chrome plated traction bars on and cruze to Mich an Canada! :-D :-D

BTW guys, I need to put a new set of springs under my Scamp.It's going to have a 380 hp crate motor in it and will be strictly on the street. ANY ideas of what I need to get?? Thanks for any help.

Jim

My choice of the SS springs was a personal decision for what I'd do. To me, cars like this will rarely be a real "comfortable" riding driver regardless of the spring used. Just looking at your engine combo leads me right to the best "hooking" leaf springs that are available to go in a light car that will easily produce 500+ hp and torque.

Good Luck with it.....That's gonna be one nasty A body roaming the streets. :thumleft:

Thanks for the help man. For me, comfort takes a back seat to function in this case. As a matter of fact, the more upsetting and harsh on my passenger (wife and friends) the better I'll like it. And all the while making folks who drive the modern muscle cars wonder what in the hell they just got hit with, shew, this is gone be nice.

Me too Bighammer...... can't wait to get my $500 set of chrome plated traction bars on and cruze to Mich an Canada! :iconbigg: :iconbigg:

BTW guys, I need to put a new set of springs under my Scamp.It's going to have a 380 hp crate motor in it and will be strictly on the street. ANY ideas of what I need to get?? Thanks for any help.

Traction bars are all you need

Me too Bighammer...... can't wait to get my $500 set of chrome plated traction bars on and cruze to Mich an Canada! :-D :-D

Jim

Traction bars are all you need

Just remembered. I have a set of US Car tool frame connectors that I need to put on. Does it matter if I put them on before the spring change or after?

Just run two RH springs if it's a street car. My SS springs are none too harsh, I love the way they ride and handle, and I don't have a difficult time getting traction (although my 5.9 is none too stout, of course). I would like to de-arch them a bit, but the ride is great.

Traction bars are a joke on Mopars, the reason why is that the axle isn't centered on the spring like it is on Brand X. This stiffens the front segment; the traction bar is built in.

Pick your springs, run it, address traction issues as they arise. No need in crossing a bridge you have not arrived at.

As far as I'm concerned its settled. SS springs are going on. I don't give a dam if it winds up being jacked up in the back. Probably will give me more room for a 10" tire. Now I'm off to look for a FABO vender that sells them.

jos51700, did I read your post right in just getting 2 RH SS springs for my Scamp? I don't mind a bit of a rough ride and a bit of a hike in the rear. I actually prefer a bit of a rake in it. I never got into springs but I always thought both sides were the same. What is the diff in side to side on the rear springs?

Jim

One's stiffer than the other to plant the tire with better grip. I got that advice from Rick Ehrenberg on his Green Brick Valiant. And yes, it WILL sit hiked up in the back, lol.

I'd contact him through the Moparaction website, and verify if it was two RH or two LH springs. I'm 90% sure I put in two RH springs, but it's been about 7 years.

-
Back