Classic Auto Air update 3/28/2024

-
If this kit involved the alternator I would want the 2 belt setup as well.
The belt that came with mine seems kind of soft.
I’ll probably have to get a better one. (Gates)
I got ac compressor brackets from hemi Denny mounts compressor where ps pump is and then use a gen 2 ps pump cool setup

I have the same setup you do, I didn't charge it yet, but mine has held vacuum since November so I don't expect problems so long as the compressor can build pressure
1711999384822.png

I did drive the car with the belts setup this way and they seem fine -> I didn't turn a ton of RPM yet but it made a 20 mile drive. I didn't have to shim anything, but I did spend a lot of time making the 4th mount for the compressor and remaking some things around it. I also had to make a bracket for the water valve, an extra one for the under dash box, completely different vents, a 3D printed tube to get the vent hose to the driver's side, extended all the wiring, and modify the glovebox, but we're basically there.

All in this thread: Classic auto air install 1970 Duster with 340 and Edebrock Super Victor EFI Manifold

I have the same setup you do, I didn't charge it yet, but mine has held vacuum since November so I don't expect problems so long as the compressor can build pressure
View attachment 1716230096
I did drive the car with the belts setup this way and they seem fine -> I didn't turn a ton of RPM yet but it made a 20 mile drive. I didn't have to shim anything, but I did spend a lot of time making the 4th mount for the compressor and remaking some things around it. I also had to make a bracket for the water valve, an extra one for the under dash box, completely different vents, a 3D printed tube to get the vent hose to the driver's side, extended all the wiring, and modify the glovebox, but we're basically there.

All in this thread: Classic auto air install 1970 Duster with 340 and Edebrock Super Victor EFI Manifold

Thanks for the info.
I had to make a bracket for the rear of the compressor because nothing that came in the kit fit anywhere and I wanted at least three mounting points.

Also, the way they said to attach the cabin side mounting bracket for the inside unit kinda stunk, as it said to attach the top to the under side of the cowel.
I don’t have a 90 degree drill so that was pretty much impossible.
Didn’t really want to drill into the cowel anyway.
I flipped the bracket upside down and re bent the angles to attach it to the bottom of the dash frame, and that worked out well.

I went ahead a reassembled the whole mess minus the compressor and capped the AC hoses so I could still drive the car.
The heater part works great.
WAY better than the factory unit.

I really couldn’t care less about having AC because I like all the windows down, but apparently the Wife suffers and the wind messes up her hair. :D
If it’s real warm I just take a mister spray bottle and roll all the windows down.

Last edited:
Yep, been there, done that. I ended turning my cabin side bracket right to left 180 degrees and adding another 90 degree piece, that way I could drill holes through the glove box... I'd love it if we could get a couple of their tech guys to travel around and look at what folks have done to make their system work.

Just a reference update. If you have a magnum block and the Buchillion bracket that Classic Auto Air uses to mount the compressor, the line from the compressor to the condenser will not reach if you have the ports on the compressor oriented upward. You'll have to turn the compressor so the ports are pointing toward the passenger side and even then, it's a tight fit.

Also, you'll want to grind down one of the ears on the compressor because it'll be sitting right on top of the bypass hose and will certainly lead to a premature hose failure. Honestly, I'm really not a fan of the fit of this bracket at all. If I could do it all over again, I think I would have just made one from scratch. Probably would have taken me about the same amount of time over the mods I needed to make to accommodate it.

Last edited:
Can you please supply some pictures? Classic offers some alternatives as far as belt/pulley arrangements. I had trouble with mine and would like to see what yours looks like as a comparison.

So over the winter I completely reworked the pulleys and belts for my "Perfect Fit Kit" from Classic Auto Air. The kit as provided would not accommodate twin belts for the compressor and the alternator - even though the three pulleys had dual grooves for that use, they were 1 groove off so you could only use 1 belt. Damned thing squealed like a pig every time the compressor engaged. Since the compressor couldn't be moved back to align (against the thermostat housing), I had to move the alternator forward and find a new crank pulley with paired grooves in the right place. That moved the outer AC belt so that it interfered with the belt that runs the water pump and PS pump - so I had to space the power steering pump forward and find a fan pulley that was shallower to move the belt without moving the fan forward.

Last week I took the car to Carlisle and back with a side trip to visit friends from its East Coast storage spot, so about 300 miles round trip with 85 to 95 degree temps outside and nary a belt slip and a nice cool ride!!! This confirms to me that this system is basically well designed, but the attention to installation detail is just awful. Nothing a good hot rodder couldn't fix, but not a bolt on and go kit like they claim.

We'll pick the car up again in PA in early August and go to Moparfest in Ontario, and then all of RT66 and up the Pacific Coast Highway to Home to WA State - another 7500 mile road trip over 6 weeks.

Can you please supply some pictures? Classic offers some alternatives as far as belt/pulley arrangements. I had trouble with mine and would like to see what yours looks like as a comparison.

These probably aren't helpful. I keep forgetting to take pics when I'm out in the garage because I'm getting really frustrated with some other things, as you can see by the disarray of the engine there.

Glad you got yours figured out. I found a 4 groove crank pulley so if mine squeals then I'll attempt to go that route. Do you know what your water pump pulley is off of?

AC2.jpg

AC.jpg

So, I installed one of these systems a few years ago... It still works but the belt slips... But only when you run the A/C.... We've tried a few different belts... Some are better than others but none have fixed it... It's really only bad on the hot days.... You know, exactly when you want the A/C the most....

So a couple years ago I got one of my old cars back & I started to formulate a plan to add a few "upgrades" a modern A/C compressor & high output alternator amongst those changes....

So, knowing I wouldn't accept the CAA/VAA/Bouchlion crap I made my own...

Still working on it... Changing the 518 O/D out to a TKO, adding subframe connectors, added a Borgeson steering box...

Lotta stuff is still in process, hope to have it back on the road soon But I pretty confident the A/C belts won't give me any trouble...

thumbnail_IMG_8392.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8393.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8391.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8389.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8390.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9424.jpg

-
Back