Classic cars remade new. Replacement shells.

-
Truth be told, a body is just another part of the car, just like the fender tag.

If you've got some legit provenance and you can get a fender tag remade for a build sheet, you've got a matching vin, block and trans, you'd be the 200,000th person to have done it.

I don't care, when it comes to my own cars. If we are talking about investment, originality is king, but there is still a market for these shells.

I don't know that I'll ever buy one, though. I doubt it, only because I don't mind doing body and paint work, like most.

This is unbelievable. Some of you same guys are the ones that chime in that vin's shouldn't be sold or swapped to other bodies. Its illegal remember. What would the difference be if you used a rust free /6 car to restore your muscle car. by applying the numbers.

Now either we are against this or for it. It is yes sell and buy vin numbers to make a car or no don't make any more Mopar bodies.

I never see GM guys having this problem. Only the mopar guys that are afraid of letting there be another car like theirs.

I guess I start saving Titles and sell them on this site for the new bodies coming out. would that be OK with you all. look here is a new Duster shell. I am going to make a Loaded Duster and have a data plates made. I'll just start copying some of the rare cars on here.

I think the difference is that the repop bodies are sold as a replacement part. The same as quarter panels, floor pans, roof, whatever. Or, you can build a complete car and apply for a specialty construction registration (minor nightmare) using the MSRO.

As far as "laser straight" and just bolt it together, no way. Ask anybody here who has bought replacement sheetmetal or patch panels for their car about the quality. There are some good quality parts out there, but they are not perfect. (OEM panels weren't either). Now consider building a complete shell from a bin of parts that are "a little off here, a little off there". You are gonna work your butt off to make a great car, plus you're going to have to source a bunch of used parts for the details. I've done it, I know.

Where I work at RPC, we are the nations largest Dynacorn dealer. I sell a TON of their replacement sheet metal parts, and everything else they sell. We sell a lot of their replacement body shells as well. In fact we sold 6 last month. Two 68 mustang fastbacks, a 67 fastback, and three camaros. Most of our customers that a buying one of these replacement shells has a donor car. But a number of them are building the car from scratch. I have been asked on numerous occasions this question. "Can I just take the vin and data tags from from donor car and put them on this one?" And my standard answer is "It's your car. I don't know what the legal ramifications are, so I can't advise you of that." Now, these shells come with their own serial number that is riveted to the firewall down low, and they also come with a certificate of title. Whatever the guy does with the car is his business. Not mine. All states differ as to how the cars are registered in that state. Whether its a "Hot rod" or "Custom build" I don't know. The Challenger body's have been put on hold for now, with no real date as to when they will begin building them. I can tell you that if I had the Challenger shells available for sale, I would sell the $hit out of them. There is a demand for them.

the new mustang,camaro and challenger are a huge punch in the gut for the old muscle. i surf various boards and there are a lot of guys selling their old muscle for new muscle. way better performance everywhere and a lot more comfortable and better on gas. and look at the price.. by no means cheap but look at what it costs to restore an old muscle car. probably pretty close to the same price. hell it may be a little more to do the old muscle. these days its almost silly to be messing with old muscle.

Yep.....sad the deal fell thru for my Dart. Had my eyes on a older Fox Stang Vert.....

...and I actually have a VIN plate and title in my name for a 73 rallye Challenger!

Where I work at RPC, we are the nations largest Dynacorn dealer. I sell a TON of their replacement sheet metal parts, and everything else they sell. We sell a lot of their replacement body shells as well. In fact we sold 6 last month. Two 68 mustang fastbacks, a 67 fastback, and three camaros. Most of our customers that a buying one of these replacement shells has a donor car. But a number of them are building the car from scratch. I have been asked on numerous occasions this question. "Can I just take the vin and data tags from from donor car and put them on this one?" And my standard answer is "It's your car. I don't know what the legal ramifications are, so I can't advise you of that." Now, these shells come with their own serial number that is riveted to the firewall down low, and they also come with a certificate of title. Whatever the guy does with the car is his business. Not mine. All states differ as to how the cars are registered in that state. Whether its a "Hot rod" or "Custom build" I don't know. The Challenger body's have been put on hold for now, with no real date as to when they will begin building them. I can tell you that if I had the Challenger shells available for sale, I would sell the $hit out of them. There is a demand for them.

Interesting about the bodies having there own #. My "bike in a box" came with mco (manufactures certificate of origin), think that is what they were called. Went down to DMV with the 3 of them, motor trans and frame, walked out with a vin tag to stick on the bike. Did not even bring the bike with me.

Would imagine some of what you can get away with as far as the title is up to the owner. If you have a vin and title how would dmv know that the car has been re-bodied? Does it make it legal? Interpretation goes along way here. Like you said, every state will be different. Bring a vehicle into the state of AZ and you need to go have the vin verified......bring a vehicle into WA state and you do not.

Someone mentioned about all the previous threads on here about re-tagging a body. In my opinion, this is a bit different. The body you are buying was never anything but some sheet metal. When a person takes a / car and "clones" it into a "numbers matching" car they are taking a car that was something and turning it into something else. A bit different but in some folks eyes still the same as buying an un-tagged "new" body. Now that I have confused the snot out of myself I am going to crawl back into my corner.

-
Back