Classic Industries and AMD

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend is doing major surgery on the back of a 1969 GTX. He has been buying metal parts that come from AMD (drop shipped directly to him) by purchasing them from Classic Industries, He had already bought a left rear frame rail and also needed a right side frame rail, but Classic said they were out of stock. My friend called AMD and they had one shipped to him the same day. The curious thing is that, while the prices for the parts were comparable between Classic and AMD (300 some dollars), the rail from Classic cost him $400 for shipping and the one from AMD cost $200 to ship. Buyer beware - make sure you compare shipped prices if you are shopping around...

True that. Most places used to charge actual cost or maybe actual cost plus a dollar or two for shipping. A lot of places nowadays consider their shipping department to be a profit center. You KNOW they are getting a deal from UPS and FEDEX, but they are charging full retail shipping cost plus.

I like using summit racing for any AMD parts they sell. They usually just charge 10$ oversize.

Last edited:
Shipping is not that simple. As a business owner the last few years have been nuts for shipping parts for machines. It used to be based on size and weight. Now they factor in a few more items. Hydraulic cylinders, I for years paid $130-$160 for a set to be shipped via truck freight is now over $300 roughly weighing 425lbs for the set. With the loss of one of the big carriers to bankruptcy, shipping is off the charts.
Plus add in fuel cost. I used to get a large piece of loading equipment made in Canada. Border and customs cost a lot more, take for ever to receive. Trucks now are filling their trailer before they leave the depot. They drive to the next Depot and the trailer sits and waits before it is filled again for the next depot. This now went from a 4days from Mexico to 15 days.

My point is the cost to move items as small as a box of bolts has gone up and every time it is touched it costs. Even Summit is paying- there is no real “free shipping” anylonger. It’s built into the price.
Syleng1

My friend bought a bunch from them when they were at a local swap meet. He called them to see when and where they were going to be locally and they brought them with them. I don't know if they still do it now.

I have found it it cheaper to buy direct from AMD generally. Usually because of shipping. Vendors seem to always have items drop shipped but the vendor charge you MORE for shipping than AMD.
When the last of the erly B floor pans were running out at AMD one vendor took possession of the last of them physically and tripled the friggin price. So I fabbed my own. Then I sold the car as I was still PISSED. Still pissed. Bought 2 Fords.

Yup..shipping varies widely. I don't know how it works but carriers probably give companies deals
based on volume? And the companies probably take some profit out of it too for administration
and packaging etc. Companies, shippers and their employees all have to pay their bills too!

With the loss of one of the big carriers to bankruptcy, shipping is off the charts.
What he said! I'm in the commercial HVAC industry, and once Yellow Freight went under, shipping has been outrageous, not to mention unreliable.

Carrier used to have a National Account with Yellow Freight, and friends who work for the local Carrier Distributor here in the Twin Cities have all sorts of horror stories regarding shipping.

Another "new normal", I guess.

A big part of our "new" inflation is labor. Cost of labor keep rising as one strike or hreatened strike after another. Cost of living goes up, people demand more $$$ Ca. just raised minimum wage to what $20? The death spirile.

Another issue is the freight companies - including the now defunct Yellow tried buying up every competitor because they were deep in debt. So they went further in debt to try to save their souls. How did that work out?
Syleng1

I'm so glad to find out how many expert economists we have on FABO. The point of the thread was that Classic is gouging us on shipping, and AMD, not so much. How do you close a thread that you have started...

Just wondering, was your sheetmetal drop shipped directly from AMD?

Classic Industries is a rip off in every way possible. They've been lousy for at LEAST the last 15 years, and probably a lot longer but that's all I can personally speak to. This isn't something new, they've had lousy prices and lousier customer service for a loooooong time.

Summit has some of the best prices on AMD stuff and on freight for them, and great customer service too for the most part. Some of the initial pricing is a little bit higher, but their freight charges are much better, and you have to factor in both for large panels.

I don't understand why someone wouldn't do a little price and shipping cost checking when buying a bunch of expensive panels that are going to have to ship freight. Because there's no chance, not one, that ordering from Classic was the best or cheapest option.

I got all my AMD sheet metal from 521 Restorations and got that 10 percent discount from being a moparts.com member. You deal directly with the owner of 521 zero BS I highly recommend. Shipping was real cheap too.
That’s true, I forgot to mention the 10% off discount.

I'm so glad to find out how many expert economists we have on FABO. The point of the thread was that Classic is gouging us on shipping, and AMD, not so much. How do you close a thread that you have started...
Ask a Mod by a PM.

:popcorn:

Just wondering, was your sheetmetal drop shipped directly from AMD?
521 Restorations dropped shipped my sheet-metal directly from AMD.
I wouldn’t order anything through Classic Industries unless I was price matching because of their high shipping rates.

521 Restorations dropped shipped my sheet-metal directly from AMD.
I wouldn’t order anything through Classic Industries unless I was price matching because of their high shipping rates.
Same here dropped shipped straight from AMD. 521 is the only place I will ever buy AMD sheet metal from way cheaper then other sources and outstanding service too. You deal directly with the owner of 521 who is a zero BS type of person.

Hello Forum,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we appreciate the opportunity to have a dialogue about what’s going on in the aftermarket.

Like Syleng1 said, shipping really isn’t that simple. We know it’s a pain point for our customers, and it’s definitely a pain point for businesses across the board.

We did a little digging after coming across this thread and found that those frame rails are quite expensive to ship. The last one we shipped, which was just a couple days ago, cost us just over $400 to ship from California to Washington state. And that’s just the freight invoice, that’s not including the boxes, packing materials, and the labor to pack it.

While it’s easy to make assumptions, we can assure you all that shipping is not a profit center for our business. We try to break even on shipping, but in many cases we end up losing money. But we do so knowing that customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal.

We do appreciate you bringing this example up because it gives us the opportunity to see if there are any ways for us to work on our shipping to be more competitive. And we’re always happy to review the shipping costs if a customer feels that the shipping rate is unreasonable.

As always, the invitation to send me a DM is open in case anyone has any questions or needs some help with something. We’re here to work with you guys to keep the restoration and performance industry alive and well.

Sincerely,
Gabe Flores
Brand Manager

Just bought 2 fenders for my demon, shipping for 1 was
199.00, decided to go ahead and get both sides. Shipping was the same price for 2 . Who knows?

What he said! I'm in the commercial HVAC industry, and once Yellow Freight went under, shipping has been outrageous, not to mention unreliable.

Carrier used to have a National Account with Yellow Freight, and friends who work for the local Carrier Distributor here in the Twin Cities have all sorts of horror stories regarding shipping.

Another "new normal", I guess.
Yea I miss yellow freight also used them and always good results I could back my trailer up to there dock and they would load my purchase even though my trailer was lower than the dock and one time I drove a old car in and had a fork lift dump a truck transmission in the trunk Nice people and very reasonable I call all of todays problems Bidenomics $$$ we pay and everyone strikeing needing more money I think we better hang on to our old vehicles just to at lesst have a little fun out of life

-
Back