Clattering sound from starter

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Not sure what to post this under but here it goes.

My car died last night when getting on the highway. I pulled over and tried to start it back up. The engine wouldn't crank over but there was a nasty sound coming from what I think is the starter. It's a rapid clattering sound. I quickly pulled the key back. Did it again, same thing. Tried again and pumped the gas and the engine turned over. Got it running for a few seconds then stumbled and quit. I looked at the carb and realized I wasn't getting any fuel. Not a drop. I'm positive I ran out of gas. Or my fuel pump is shot. Had to get it towed home.

But my question is the starter. It's only three years old. Is it shot? What is this sound coming from? Almost as if the teeth from the starter are grinding against the torque converter and it's not engaging. I hope it's a simple fix. New starter isn't a bad job.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

I should also mention five minutes prior to quitting the car started right up fine. We were at the movies then heading home. When I left my house that evening started fine as well. When towed back to my house we checked the battery and it was reading well over 15volts. Thats too much isn't it?

Clattering sound and no fuel? Could the fuel pump eccentric come loose? Had that happen in the past, it moves on the cam snout and the cover keeps the eccentric and attaching hardware from going anywhere. Since then, I use locktite...it's a lot of work to rebolt the eccentric.

You can remove the fuel pump and stick a screwdriver in and see if the eccentric will move. I can't remember if there was a noise or not...heck, I can't remember last week....

I have the same problem since I hooked the battery up backwards. (dont ask) On a 45 year old car the wiring gets brittle, it will engage fine when the motor is cold but as soon as it warms up all I get is ratatatatatatata, sos I leave the key on and jump it with a screwdriver. Starts right up. That is the only wire that I havent replaced since the incident.

I have an update. I defiently ran out of gas. Once it was towed home I got a couple gallons of gas and after a few cranks it fired up. All is good with the fuel issue.

The car started fine then but now I am still having this clattering sound from the starter. The only way the car starts is with a screwdriver to bypass the relay. I tried starting in neutral with no luck. But once we bypass it fires right up. I'm getting almost 16volts from the battery and all the grounds are good. Is this something in the column? This is starting to get real frusterating. The starter is a Visteon, are these bad units? Is the starter just going bad? It's almost three years old and the relay is just two weeks old.

Please help, any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

replace the starter relay.

Do you think it's a faulty part? Just a few weeks ago we replaced it with a brand new one. Before that it wouldn't start. I wasn't getting anything when I turned the key. No grinding, no click, nothing. We replaced the relay then everything was good. The current relay is a Standard Motor part. Are those junk? Is there a better brand you reccomend?

Thank you

I dont want to hijack this thread but I will anyway because there is no reference to this problem on any other posted topics. I have replaced the ign switch, starter relay, starter lead, relay lead, fuse-link, ign 2 wire, ballast resistor, cleaned the bulkhead connection, and I get the exact same result. The starter will not fully engage without jumping the relay.
I will give some other stats in hope that the enormous brains that frequent this site can give me some insight as I have a brain cramp.
Stats;
65 Barracuda, 340, 904, stock points ign.
Battery drain, ballast resistor gets hot while cranking the key.
I am leaning towards bad grounding someplace, but where?

I dont want to hijack this thread but I will anyway because there is no reference to this problem on any other posted topics. I have replaced the ign switch, starter relay, starter lead, relay lead, fuse-link, ign 2 wire, ballast resistor, cleaned the bulkhead connection, and I get the exact same result. The starter will not fully engage without jumping the relay.
I will give some other stats in hope that the enormous brains that frequent this site can give me some insight as I have a brain cramp.
Stats;
65 Barracuda, 340, 904, stock points ign.
Battery drain, ballast resistor gets hot while cranking the key.
I am leaning towards bad grounding someplace, but where?
On my 66 Dart I couldn,t start at the key.Here,s what I did to get it running...

I unplug the safety neutral switch and ran aground to the starter relay in place of the SNS(bad switch I guess)

Just a small brain LOL!Hope this helps.

I'd isolate one problem at a time. First, check your voltage at the output of the alternator. If it's hovering at about 16V it's way too much. It should be about 14.2 at a fast idle. If it's too high then you're not regulating properly.

Secondly, it sounds like your ground on the starter relay isn't getting there from the neutral safety switch. Pull the wire off, ground the terminal on the relay and see if the starter engages with the key. If so the Neutral switch or wire is bad (open). You can also check the switch and relay on your bench with a simple power supply and ohmmeter before you go out and buy parts needlessly.

From your thread above it sounds like the starter is bad or going bad soon. you may want to yank it and bring it to a good starter rebuild shop.

-
Back