Cleaning a Clifford Valve Cover Question

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I have a nasty red painted cover. It's also real dirty on the oil side. Looking for advice of how to get the paint off and get it real clean. Anyone done this before?

i would just bead blast it or sand blast it on a lower pressure like 60psi. then brake clean it off and your good to go.

Make sure if it has them that you remove the baffle(s) if you blast them. Don't blast the inside at all, and make sure you clean them out completely before you reinstall the baffles.

Make sure if it has them that you remove the baffle(s) if you blast them. Don't blast the inside at all, and make sure you clean them out completely before you reinstall the baffles.

you can blast the inside and clean it just like the outside...

If it's aluminum you certainly can but I won't. No matter the pressure, bits of abrasive can embed into the metal and come out when the engine goes through a heat cycle. I wouldn't advise blasting the inside of anything aluminum. But that's me.

Lacquer thinner works great for the paint and oil both if you just have regular around the garage type stuff to work with and no shop with hot tanks and blasters.

I was able to remove spray paint from a part by letting it soak overnight in the bath tub, in really hot water and a super strong solution of pine sol,,
lifted the paint off in sheets,,,

I had a red valve cover, and sprayed it with some spray can paint remover. Paint practically all fell off. A hose sprayed off the rest, and purple power cleaned the oily side fairly quickly.

If its shiny AL, I would consider soda blasting it. Sand will pock mark it obviously, and walnut shells might also pock it. Chemical strippers work but may discolor the AL, ie turn it black. I think thinner would be about the safest, maybe simple green? Dont use white vinegar, it will etch it. Whatever you use, test it on the inside first. hey, just ask our expert CudaChick!

You DON'T put alloy in a Hot Tank.....they use hot caustic, and it will make alloy disappear.

... or at a minimum cause some damage, absorption into the aluminum (which will always be there unless you heat it out) and really screw up any proposed paint job you have in mind.

Thanks for the mention Pish. :-D You have a new Thanks.

start with lacquer thinner or acetone on the paint... it will NOT affect the aluminum at all. Clean the inside with thinner or gasoline and then some oil eater or something...

Wow, lots of answers. Sure don't want to screw it up, but it looks like crap now. Don't want it to turn black, absorb sand, or anything that will make it so I can't use it on the Colt. I really appreciate the inputs, anyone else have any ideas?

Don't transmission shops have a water based hot tank for aluminum cases? Probably get all the sludge and paint off.

Thanks Whip, but only if he's not in a hurry. I'm backed up to the wall around here and need more clones than ever ... sure wish they'd get here. :-D

Show me a picture of it and your ride ... my imagination works better that way. :-D

Here it is. and the Colt is the ride. Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• DSCN1094.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN1095.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN1096.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN1097.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 145
Hey Hyper, that's in great shape! You could do pretty much anything you want with that and not have too much trouble by the looks of it. Have you thought about a color scheme for the engine bay?

Thanks for the pic and mention too Dartman! I can't wait to see that installed with those beautiful carburetors and the cool old Lynx intake ... I know, you can't either. :-D

-
Back