Cleaning old aluminum slotted wheels

-

lemondana

BlackDart
Reaction score
What is the best product to use on old oxidized alum wheels These wheels have been on a car outside for probably 30 years. What is the easiest product to use?

Acid wash them, then use sandpaper... Start with 80 grit & work your way up to 320.. Then Mothers Mag wheel polish..

WD-40 and steel wool. Then polish them up with a terrycloth towel.

Like this >

Screenshot_20200712-020702_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I guess it really depends on the current condition... Cause if they are truly crusty steel wool ain't gonna do it...

These were pretty crusty. Had the backs gently media blasted as it was the worst. Wire wheeled the worst, then 80, 120, 220 grit sandpaper (by hand) finish off with Autosol polish. I'm not a fan of mirror finishes.

IMG_0939.JPG

These wheels were sanded with 180 > 240 > 320 wet dry and WD-40 > then WD-40 and Steel Wool for the final polish.

Going with the grain of the wheel like it was cut with a machine like a large lathe.

Gives a nice brushed aluminum look instead of a highly polished chrome look.

Screenshot_20240321-023901_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I like your truck!

Thanks, it is inspiring me to do the '89 D100 with basically the same running gear and same 4 bbl conversion that I am working on now down in the Sunshine State.

Screenshot_20240304-154502_Gallery.jpg

Hub Caps for now on this one.

☆☆☆☆☆

I've restored several sets of Cragar Super Trick wheels and have found in the end that a red Scotch Brite pad does a really good job of finishing them without being to shinny.

Tom

I have always used Mothers Chrome Polish with some steel wool. Made the aluminum slots look sort of machined finish but if you keep going can be brought to a high polish.

I used Windex scrubber pad soapy water and Mothers mag polish with a ball polisher in a drill...takes time but polishing always does...

dont forget Windex as a cleaner Id use it to rebuild a carb in combat conditions... :lol:

for anyone who has never heard of Flitz...I had a guy give me a partial tube back in the early eighties and it returned an old slotted aluminum mag to like new.

Ive had a flitz set up for years now good stuff mine came with the polishing ball also..Simichrome polish from Harley is good too...

-
Back