Cleaning refurbishing all door/window mechanisms

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This will show my noob status, but...

69 Barracuda

I'm just trying to refurbish all of this stuff and was hoping the sheet metal halves of the door came apart... Do I really have to disassemble/assemble all of this stuff through the inner door openings with a flashlight in my teeth?

This will show my noob status, but...

69 Barracuda

I'm just trying to refurbish all of this stuff and was hoping the sheet metal halves of the door came apart... Do I really have to disassemble/assemble all of this stuff through the inner door openings with a flashlight in my teeth?
YEP.

No to the doors coming apart like that, and yes to the flashlight in the teeth. :D
Something soft to kneel on is nice.

I spary a rust penetrant on the steel gear parts, and clean off the old grease and put on new white grease ( what I use) . run them up and down some, fixed unless you have something broke insode. not easy working on that stuff.
if you have to say pull the rear qtr glass mechanism, your FSM will tell ya how. they go in and out just one way generally! no fun!

Perfect, thanks all ;) think I'll switch to my headlamp then.

Yeah... Do have the FSM and still trying to make sense of the organization structure of the manual itself, but it will come.

When dealing with these older vehicles, Nothing about door internals is easy. If you find the bearing assembly behind the winder handle has a lot of wear ( drivers window winder surely wobbles around ) the bearing internals from others can be used. I rob the parts from rear doors of late model 4 door A-bodies. Latch posts, bump stops, and more. A 75 Valiant with a/c had little to no wear in these parts.

I used cheap oven cleaner to get the parts clean. For lube, I use synthetic disc brake grease. It wont harm plastic or rubber. Take lots of pics and notes.

I used cheap oven cleaner to get the parts clean. For lube, I use synthetic disc brake grease. It wont harm plastic or rubber. Take lots of pics and notes.
Great idea that can be extended. Thanks.

Everything seems in perfect working order, so I'm just going to lube everything in place for now to keep from making a mountain out of a mole hill. Even though I have an innate need to see how EVERYTHING works... I think this approach will be better.

Heres some pics of a drivers door from 67 Cuda. I cut the outer skin off to be able to take ref pics. Windows removed but linkages all there. Lemme know if you need more.

20160712_191117.jpg

20160712_191106.jpg

20160808_111101.jpg

Heres some pics of a drivers door from 67 Cuda. I cut the outer skin off to be able to take ref pics. Windows removed but linkages all there. Lemme know if you need more.

View attachment 1714960330

View attachment 1714960331

View attachment 1714960332

Really nice pics thanks. My guess is that at the factory they must have rigged all this up on the inner half then welded it shut. There are a LOT of moving parts in there.

-
Back