cleaning the contact surface for the horn mechanism

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Between the horn pad or ring and the steering wheel there is a mechanism that is riveted together and sprung apart. When you hit the pad or ring it squeezes this all together on one side and the contact makes the horn blow. Is there a way to clean the two internal contact surfaces to make sure you have good contact (without drilling out rivets and replacing them)?

Sample mechanism (on left)
DSC02369.JPG
:

Electrical contact cleaner ( carefull of other surfaces)

And a pencil eraser.

NEVER use sand paper or a file. Many contacts have a plating on them and the sand paper will scratch the plating and cause a point of future corrosion.

problem is that the 2 surfaces are like 1/16 of an inch apart so you can't really get to the surface. When you say contact cleaner, you mean like de-OX?

Do a submerged soak in vinegar for a day or so, and rinse well in trisodium phosphate and water mix, then blow dry w compressed air.

Last edited:
If it's got a special plating, and it's corroded, I wouldn't worry about cleaning it. I've used my bead blaster to clean those contact plates. Then use some dielectric compound on them to keep it from corroding further.

-
Back