Cleaning up a Hurst shifter?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is an 82 D150, slant with A833OD trans. I'm just about done putting it back together, but the shifter looks nasty. I can't find info on cleaning up the shifter. Is this as simple as disassemble, clean, grease, and reassemble?

20221217_202547.jpg

20221217_202510.jpg

Yup. It's that simple. Might not hurt to take pictures as you disassemble.

Another plus for the inland shifter is the lower boot that keep and the dust and dirt out of the greased mechanism.

This is an 82 D150, slant with A833OD trans. I'm just about done putting it back together, but the shifter looks nasty. I can't find info on cleaning up the shifter. Is this as simple as disassemble, clean, grease, and reassemble?

Hello halfafish,
Not hard to disasemble and reasemble. The PITA is the compressing/installing the springs.
Here is a good informational tutorial.

You can find all the repair parts you will need here or I think Summit sells a kit also.
Hurst Shifter Rebuild, Replacement and Service Parts
P/S wear safety glasses
Hope this helps.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

Last edited:
I agree with the above, if you are taking it apart anyway, you might as well spend the $100 on a rebuild kit, it's pretty straight forward to do. I think I had less than 30 minutes into rebuilding mine, and that was the first time ever taking one apart.

Along with the video above, there is a good step by step written instruction with pictures at Browse by Category - Shifter Doc You'd be better browing that site on a computer, it isn't very phone friendly.

View attachment 1716023469

View attachment 1716023470
Like others have said, it's not too difficult. If you do end up taking it apart, make sure you keep track of where each shim goes!

You'll have a pile of parts that you can scrub
IMG_20220123_143742103.jpg

IMG_20220123_142023418_HDR.jpg

If you don't want to mess with taking it apart, get some Oil Eater and submerge the shifter in it for a couple of days. This stuff will clean up the dirtiest, grimiest parts.

1671384804254.png

Last edited:
I should probably do the same thing with the Hurst shifter I just got, that's attached to an 833OD that's bound for my 85 D150 while it's out. Think it's out of an 81.
I do have a question about the shifter handle itself/
I'm considering a ram charger bucket seat/console swap into mine, would that particular shifter handle clear a stock ramcharger console? I don't want to be slamming into the console whenever I go for 2nd or 4th.... Not yet sure that swap will happen, have a console in my interior color located, but not yet the buckets/pedestals. Just thinking out loud at the moment.

-
Back