Cleaning up my intake

-
I have to say that the coated intake looks great, but for me I don't like the shine. don't know if you offer a flat clear that would make it look more natural as that is what I prefer JMO.

Me too Haze. On my own stuff I like the as-cast aluminum look. I use glass bead and don't bother with paints or coatings.

I guess I'm pretty much a Mopar tradionalist. When I see bare aluminum intakes, I think Chevy. Like the original Z28's, vettes and others.

When I see engine-colored intakes, I think Mopar. The factory 340-6 and 440-6 alum manifolds were block color. And I prefer the stealth or sleeper look anyway. Like a 451 dressed like a 383 in a 68 cuda. Or a 408 dressed like a Commando 273.

So my 68 came with a Weiand Stelth that was natural. When I took the heads off to repair and pocket port, I took the opportunity to bead blast the intake clean. I ground the Weiand logo flush and filled the recessed text and smooth ground areas with JB Weld. Lightly blasted the JB-filled areas to give it a rough texture, then painted it the same color as the block, Hemi orange. So it looks kinda like it is a typical stock Mopar intake.

But that's just me.

Would love to see pics. I bet it looks good.

I guess I'm pretty much a Mopar tradionalist. When I see bare aluminum intakes, I think Chevy. Like the original Z28's, vettes and others.

When I see engine-colored intakes, I think Mopar. The factory 340-6 and 440-6 alum manifolds were block color. And I prefer the stealth or sleeper look anyway. Like a 451 dressed like a 383 in a 68 cuda. Or a 408 dressed like a Commando 273.

So my 68 came with a Weiand Stelth that was natural. When I took the heads off to repair and pocket port, I took the opportunity to bead blast the intake clean. I ground the Weiand logo flush and filled the recessed text and smooth ground areas with JB Weld. Lightly blasted the JB-filled areas to give it a rough texture, then painted it the same color as the block, Hemi orange. So it looks kinda like it is a typical stock Mopar intake.

But that's just me.

Sand blasted and powder coated my intake today came out great. Pictures to follow.

I had the shop down the street do mine. They sand blasted it, tumbled it, then powdercoated it with a natural aluminum color. I think it ran me about $50 all said and done, it came out looking brand new.

I have to say that the coated intake looks great, but for me I don't like the shine. don't know if you offer a flat clear that would make it look more natural as that is what I prefer JMO.

That Alien Silver is pretty flashy and shiny but it's just the most popular choice, not the only choice. :-D There are more matte looking silvers, flatter clear coats and pretty much anything else you can imagine. With 6,500 powder colors (and custom matching on top of that), you can get whatever you want. Check out the Color Charts on my website's home page to get started.

Ohhh wow I like that powder coated look... my Air Gap is 1 month old and it already is starting to look grungy! I might consider powder coating it in the future.( $25.00/hr + 5-10% FABO discount.... that's more than fair pricing)

Thanks for the boost Joe! :-D Your timing is impeccable. I just finished up a brand new Air Gap for a FABO member yesterday. He doesn't even know yet so I can't show it off at the moment. LOL

-
Back