Clearance with aftermarket intake and 70/71 air cleaner

-

BuckeyeAlex

Reaction score
I’m looking at intakes for my 340 Demon and I want to run my factory air cleaner to stay as factory appearing as possible. What intakes have you guys been able to use? I assume anything high rise like an Air Gap is out, but is mid rise still an option?

Engine is currently out and unfortunately I didn’t think to measure how much clearance I had with the stock intake.

Keep in mind you could use a drop base for the air cleaner to gain back some of the clearance you lost with a taller intake

Here are some pictured in order as listed. Mopar performance ,Edelbrock performer, Weiand or LD340
Mopar performance
001.jpg

Edlebrock performer

100_0193 (2).JPG

Weiand

DSCN0008.JPG

EdelBrock LD340

download.jpg

An LD340 is my top choice but I haven’t been able to find one yet. I didn’t figure a Performer RPM would fit, so that’s good to know! Which Weiand is that?

I have the same hood on my swinger and the air gap with 70/71 340 breather fits fine.

20191026_082948.jpg

Im using stock spool mounts on mine and also have a 1/2" spacer. Its an MSD throttle body but I think its the same height as a carb.

have used the stock 70-1 aircleaner on Edekbrock performer, LD340, LD4B, Weiand Stealth. Used both Edelbrock AfB and AVS carbs, as well as Holleys. Edelbrock has a list of intake heights for their current offerings on their web site

Between this post and feedback on Facebook, I’m fairly confident I can run about any intake with it. Multiple guys have ran the Weiand Stealth and Summit shows it being slightly taller than a Performer RPM Air Gap. The only intake I could find taller than the Stealth is a Torker II.

Thanks for all the input!

-
Back