Clearasil's Mr. Norms '68 Dart ??

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of this WILD Clearasil Sweepstakes 1968 Dart GTS 383 tuned by Mr. Norms ???

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 424
Funny thing is that the car that's pictured is actually a 1967 model ( look at its grille , bumper , and flat hood ) .
Perhaps it's the first GSS Dart ; a Slant Six-powered GT that received a 383 / 727 / 8.75" with 3.55's from a 1966 Coronet and under chassis headers ( highly unusual for that time ; total custom job ! ) . That's the one that was featured in -- iirc -- Car Craft's Feb '67 issue .
As a side note : I e-mailed Norm Kraus himself to inquire about the first GSS , mentioning how I read the Car Craft article ; he denied the whole conversion !!
Wish I still had access to that issue ( a friend has it , and he lives 2,000 miles away ... )
just so that I could confirm that I did indeed see that article .

Nope, the original 6 cyl /383 conversion had a vinyl roof.....

I posted the whole article last month.

See the vinyl roof trim.....

383Dart003.jpg

And remember, it takes a while to get these promotions rolling, like months. I bet the Dart in the picture was just an unused 67 Chrysler ad photo with a stripe added.

You can bet your *** SOMEBODY won the thing. I wonder if it's still around.

Funny thing is that the car that's pictured is actually a 1967 model ( look at its grille , bumper , and flat hood ) .
Perhaps it's the first GSS Dart ; a Slant Six-powered GT that received a 383 / 727 / 8.75" with 3.55's from a 1966 Coronet and under chassis headers ( highly unusual for that time ; total custom job ! ) . That's the one that was featured in -- iirc -- Car Craft's Feb '67 issue .
As a side note : I e-mailed Norm Kraus himself to inquire about the first GSS , mentioning how I read the Car Craft article ; he denied the whole conversion !!
Wish I still had access to that issue ( a friend has it , and he lives 2,000 miles away ... )
just so that I could confirm that I did indeed see that article .

The contest photo was likly taken before the 68 models were available for photos. The 67 shown could have been any 67 Dart GT, but it could have actually been a 67 Dart 383 GTS, which came out mid year 67. Only the GTS emblems on the front fenders and 383 emblems on the front fenders would identify it as a GTS. Of course those aren't visible from the photo angle.

yellowdartdave - Thanks much for sharing that excerpt !
Would you please post a link to the thread wherein you posted the article ? Thanks much .

i agree with fzmax. that pic is a drawing of a car and some people. you can tell by how much they look like carttons. maybe the guy that drew it only had access to 67 dart pix or he may have just goofed and got confuzed. totally a drawing though.

sent a email to clearasil and heres the email I got back

"Dear Mr. Rains,

Thank you for contacting us regarding a Clearasil® promotion.

We researched your request but unfortunately this information is unavailable.

We appreciate your taking the time to contact us and are sorry that we were not able to satisfy your request for this information.

Sincerely,
Lindsay Kresley
Consumer Relations
Reckitt Benckiser North America "

maby one day somone will come foward with some info

I can't see the fine print, but my guess is similar to an earlier post- a 67 used in the ad, and if you won you received a 383 Dart tuned by Mr Norm, not necessarily a specific car painted with those stripes- just a guess.

I've heard so many different stories regarding Mr Norm and the 383 Dart- but the article from Feb 67 appears to clear it up.

You design the stripes!
And you can get a list of all winners!

Who's going to mail in for the info?

You design the stripes!
And you can get a list of all winners!

Who's going to mail in for the info?

The giveaway was actually late in 67 when the 68's were coming out, and the original 383 Dart built by GSD was a 273 car. I have done lots of research on it and am planning on building a clone. It was GG1 greeen with a black vinyl top and black bucket interior with console automatic. Since I work for Mr. Norm I have grilled him on the entire subject but he only remebers so much. I have always wondered what happened to each of these cars!

Alaskan T/A strikes again with a sweet link ! Thanks much ; now we can see all of the fine print .

I absolutely LOVE Hamtramck Historical !

Rhino,
In the article that I posted, on the 2nd page (picture of Dart driving thru the rain) on the right column, they stated that the car was originally a /6 and they took out the entire drivetrain.

-
Back