clips to hold windshield reveal moulding

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1970 Dart 2dr Hardtop. Over the years I have ended up with 3 sets of the clips that screw to the channel around the front windshield to hold the moulding that goes around the windshield. I pulled them out to use one and it seems that here are two kinds of clips used, but the kits I have don't agree on how many of each. One is slightly taller and has a bit of a slot to the hole and the other is a bit shorter and has a round hole.
DSC01295.JPG

Each kit has some of each of these clips, but what has me stumped is that the kits have different numbers of each. The kit that is most explicit is this one:
DSC01297.JPG

It includes a little bag labelled like this:
DSC01296.JPG

There are 5 clips in the little bag and a lot more 15-20 of the other kind. One of the other kits (labelled for this application) has a bunch of the taller clip and just 5 of the short ones, and the third kit has 15 of each, but isn't labelled by the seller.

Does anyone know how many of which clips to use and where the odd ones go?

I have only removed the round hole type from every A body I have ever pulled the trim and glass on
Dart Barracuda Demon Scamp Dart Sport.

Clip layout for 2 door hardtop. Duster/Dart Sport and a post car have different windshields and trim so may require a different number of clips. The taller clips will work in some locations like along the bottom of a front windshield where there is no fence. They may work across the top too. I think you will need the shorter clips on A pillars.
Years ago, first time I put 68 trim on a 67 model, all I could find was the taller more generic type clip that Ford and GM used. I needed the shorter clips all the way around that rear windshield. My only option was to grind away some of the bottom of each clip so they would sit lower.

windshieldClips.JPG

So I got more information from Tom Race at RT Specialties.

He says that although the bag I got (see above) says 68-75 A-body, what is in the bag and on the instructions are correct only for Duster/Demon and Dart Sport. The same clips get used for hardtops, but the directions are that the slightly taller ones with the oval holes go all along the bottom and up the A- pillars, and the short ones go at the top in both corners (2 each side) to more tightly secure the top run of trim where wind and speed are most likely to pull it loose.

OK, so I installed the clips tonight and it doesn't work the way Tom says :eek:.

It turns out that you can't physically use the taller clips anywhere but in the lower run below the windshield and only in the center section (the ones at the end by the A-pillar require use of the shorter clips-one on each end in my case) and the shorter ones have to be used on the A-pillars and across the top (the taller ones would stick way out of the channel).

Live and learn, The trim won't get installed for a month or so and I will report how it all worked at that point.

OK, so I installed the clips tonight and it doesn't work the way Tom says :eek:.

It turns out that you can't physically use the taller clips anywhere but in the lower run below the windshield and only in the center section (the ones at the end by the A-pillar require use of the shorter clips-one on each end in my case) and the shorter ones have to be used on the A-pillars and across the top (the taller ones would stick way out of the channel).

Live and learn, The trim won't get installed for a month or so and I will report how it all worked at that point.

What did you try it on ? ? Also how are you getting them in & out ? I’ve been told and from what I could see taking them all apart the clips must go in before winshield a d can’t remove them or move them if windshield is installed ?

What did you try it on ? ? Also how are you getting them in & out ? I’ve been told and from what I could see taking them all apart the clips must go in before winshield a d can’t remove them or move them if windshield is installed ?

These are going on a 1970 Dart (2 door hardtop) and I think you are correct about having them in place before the windshield, especially if any serious non-hardening sealer was used when the glass went in (only way to keep front or back glass from leaking in my experience. This car was completely stripped out before it went to the paint shop so the channels are completely clean and in new paint, and now I'm reassembling the car. This particular task is waiting for new front glass from AMD, which is on backorder until mid September. I shouldn't have waited to order the glass until after I got the dash back in - my foolish mistake...

Would it be useful for me to post pics of the clips in place before the glass goes in???

-
Back