Closed Chamber Big Block Heads 516

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would these work on a 72 440? It has 452 heads on it now. Would I get some more compression with the 516's? Thanks!

In stock form, it looks as though they are 73.5 cc same as 915s. Would bump the 440 up to about 9:1 instead of 8.2:1 w/o changing the pistons. Can a 9:1 440 be made to go good?

Just a little advice, anyone considering the 516 or 915 head make sure they've been upgraded with the large exhaust valve 1.74" instead of what they originally came from the factory with 1.60". Or price in the upgrade. Typical cc's for the above closed chambered heads were about 78 whereas the open chambered like the 906 was 88cc's

Just a little advice, anyone considering the 516 or 915 head make sure they've been upgraded with the large exhaust valve 1.74" instead of what they originally came from the factory with 1.60". Or price in the upgrade. Typical cc's for the above closed chambered heads were about 78 whereas the open chambered like the 906 was 88cc's

Will these heads perform well without the larger exhaust valves?

I have a 11:1 compression 451 stroker (400) with the 516's stock heads they are 73.5 cc's not 78 like most believe, and my motor made 453 hp on one inch manifolds. So yea, they are probably the best closed chamber heads chrysler ever made. 906's were the best open chambers.

I have a 11:1 compression 451 stroker (400) with the 516's stock heads they are 73.5 cc's not 78 like most believe, and my motor made 453 hp on one inch manifolds. So yea, they are probably the best closed chamber heads chrysler ever made. 906's were the best open chambers.

Sounds good! I am looking to get some more compression out of this motor without changing the bottom end.

Will these heads perform well without the larger exhaust valves?

I think you asked that in reverse, should have been will the 516's with the large exhaust valve perform noticeably better than with the small valves. Yes they will perform better with the large valves, how much depends on where your next cork in the system is. The factory even thought so when they made the large valve head (915) standard on the new HP 440 introduced in 67.

I think you asked that in reverse, should have been will the 516's with the large exhaust valve perform noticeably better than with the small valves. Yes they will perform better with the large valves, how much depends on where your next cork in the system is. The factory even thought so when they made the large valve head (915) standard on the new HP 440 introduced in 67.

Will these heads perform better than the 452's that I have now? The compression gain with the 516's should help right?

Will these heads perform better than the 452's that I have now? The compression gain with the 516's should help right?

Depends what your compression is now. If you're below 10-1 then the gain with the 516's will help. But as was said earlier if your present build is pretty mild then you might not notice the gain.

Why don't you start your own thread and list your 440 as she sits, we're kind of hyjacking whitepunk's thread.

Sorry whitepunk.

Depends what your compression is now. If you're below 10-1 then the gain with the 516's will help. But as was said earlier if your present build is pretty mild then you might not notice the gain.

Why don't you start your own thread and list your 440 as she sits, we're kind of hyjacking whitepunk's thread.

Sorry whitepunk.

Hey, no problem...it's a freebee bump for me!

The bump in compression goes a long way...use a steel shim gasket to maximize the gains. A little minor bowl work and some clean up porting combined with the extra squeeze should net an honest 40-50 horsepower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back