Clunking Noise

-

RPMLegends18

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a quick question. I asked awhile ago which way the rotor is supposed to be mounted, in front or in back of the caliper. And they are supposed to be mounted up front. Mine, when I got the k-frame from the 73 they were mounted on the rear and I figured that was correct and didnt change them. Well there is a clicking or clunking noise everyone once in awhile. Sometimes it does it sometimes it wont. It sounds like the caliper (usually just the LF) being drug up and hit into the...sounding stupid here...mounting thing. The rotors were just turned and the calipers rebuilt. Oh and I almost forgot, if I drag the brakes just a little bit it stops. So I am wondering if I swap the calipers to the correct location...although most said there was technically nothing wrong with the way they are mounted as long as the brake lines are long enough, which they are. I just want the noise to go away. Its annoying. So is it caused by the location?

What you are describing is a missing rattle clip on the inner brake pad. You can pick them up at any auto parts store.

Did you bend the 2 ears over on the top of the pads? If you don't, the pads will rattle around a bit on bumps. Touching the brakes will make it quit for a minute.

When you hit the brakes all the suspemsiom parts try to move. Any that can will. If you're dragging the brakes you're in a sense holding the parts in one end of the movement. In other words the clunk could still be anything from lower arm bushing to strut rod bushing. A good front end/alignment man
should find the source for you. GOod luck

Thanks for the replies guys. I am not sure if it has the rattle clips in it. I looked up "brake caliper rattle clip" on google and I think I installed something like that. I am saying that rather loosely. And the two tabs, I cant remember that either...As it has been..probably been 3 months if not more ago since I last did that brakes. I will have to pull the front tires off and check. Last time I took it to a front end shop I got hosed. Actually the last two times. The first time was one of my dads buddies, he had the thing towed out something awful and it just chewed the inside of the tire and all the jam nuts were loose on the tie rods. He did this on the old school turn table things. The next time I took it to the place were I worked (still got charged full price) got it back the steering wheel was so crooked, it pulled to the right, and this guy had towed it in a mile. This was on a laser system. So I took it home got the strings and tape measurer out and did it myself. Good thing we got all the toe, camber, and caster gauges at home for the race cars. So I try and do all that stuff myself now a days. As far as bushing and all that I replaced all those with polyurethane stuff when I dropped the k-frame in the car. Although I may have done something improperly. Time to check everything I suppose. I will let you guys know what I find.

Thanks again for the help, I love keeping these old things one the road
:burnout:

-
Back