Clunking sound when steering

-

cudaboy1965

Reaction score
1965 Barracuda
I hear and feel a clunk when turning the wheel from the strait ahead position when driving. Mostly when making a right turn.
Thought it was a drive-train noise but now convinced it is steering related.

Have you checked to see if any suspension components are hitting the body anywhere underneath?

Get under it and have someone turn the steering wheel and see if you can see if hitting or if it is close to something. Frame, exhaust, etc...

Also it may act differently with the front end jacked up and no load on the tires than if it were setting on its "haunches" when you look for the interference....

I have not had this issue until now and nothing has changed since purchased car three years ago.

My best guesses...
A. The box coupling has excessive wear.
B. One or more of the 3 bolts that attach the steering gear to the K member has failed. In some cases the bolts back out on their on. In other cases the weld has failed where the nut is welded to the K member.

Agree, probably steering box mount bolts are loose. Remove one at a time, clean bolts and mounts holes with tap and brake cleaner. Retorque with loctite.

i had a clunk i swore was comming from the right front,it would do it when i was stopped and turning left,when i was going into a left turn it would clunk in the right front.ball joints,wheel bearings,idler arm and shocks didnt fix it.had a buddy hang out the pass. window,he said its from the rear.i would have never guessed.added some more limited slip additive and never heard the clunk again.just saying.

I've had a clunk in the steering for a long time. Only does it when you are doing slow parking type steering not driving down the road. Sound like it's inside the car and you can feel it in the steering wheel. Manual steering. It's infrequent so I've never really look for it but the other day it was really clunking backing out of the garage and getting the car turned around. Steering box mounting bolts are tight.

This could even be lower ball joints. If you don't have one, go over to MyMopar and download a / some factory service manuals. Also browse around the tech bulletins. The service manual tells you how to check ball joints for play. Sometimes, you need two people.

-
Back