Cluster swap?

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hi all

I really love the '70 Dart cluster with its inline rectangular speedo and gauges. And I hate the Demon, Duster or '72 up Dart squared cluster with round gauges .
My question : is it possible to install a '70 Dart cluster into a Demon?
:thankyou:

I am using a 66 Barracuda cluster in my 65 Dart. I swapped the complete dash which made is so much easier. I’m not that familiar with the later dashes but suspect the easier way is to swap a complete 70 Dart dash frame into the 71 and use the 70 harness. Other will certainly have more info

You are talking about going from this

Screenshot_20230610-090711.png

To this
Screenshot_20230610-090853.png

IMHO the cleanest way would be to swap the dash frame from this

Screenshot_20230610-090453.png

To this

Screenshot_20230610-090343.png

Note how the opening is shorter and wider and has the screw holes.

You could probably cut the opening bigger and add a plate behind the oe opening of your 72 frame to mount it to

The wiring will be diferent also. But some splicing should fix that.

BTW 67 through 70 ( maybe 71 ) should fit as well. Just know the 68 -69 used the thumb wheel radio and 67 uses a one year only glove box door mounting.

Yes all the dashs will interchange; I have done this several times. But
You need to swap out the entire dash-frame else you will be fiddling for days.
Unfortunately, this is best done with the windshield out, as there is a row of screws right along the inside edge of the glass. I have tried to remove those with the windshield in, but it was just too frustrating .
Furthermore, every year of dash needs it's matching year dashframe, else again, you will be fiddling.
So as long as you have the donor car alongside the builder-car, it's a shoo-in, ......... unless one of them is a factory in-dash A/C car........ which has all it's own ideosyncacies including it's own firewall.
Happy HotRodding

Thank you Sirs, for these explanations and the pictures.
As it's needed to change the frame, I'll be reasonable and listen to Troy who advises me to keep my original (and ugly) Demon cluster :p.

Look for a slant six 200KMH or 318-340 240 one used on export like this.

speedo240KPH.jpg

Yep, simple swap if you have a complete donor dash. Keep in mind that the harness will probably be different too.
As far as the dash screws by the windshield, I have removed them many times without taking out the glass. Yeah its tight but completely possible.

The thing I don't like about all the dashes post 67-70 something rectangular dashes, is the wood grain, IMHO looks cheap. and some of the dashes A,B,C,E the lettering looks like it was applied as an after thought.

Your dash looks to be in Excellent condition. (much better than my 67 Dash)

The thing I don't like about all the dashes post 67-70 something rectangular dashes, is the wood grain, IMHO looks cheap. and some of the dashes A,B,C,E the lettering looks like it was applied as an after thought.

Your dash looks to be in Excellent condition. (much better than my 67 Dash)
I agree, I hate all the fake wood grain.

-
Back