Clutch adjustment?

-

la67DartGT

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Finishing up my 4-speed conversion, and got the clutch installed, trans in, shifter in and adjusted (shifts fantastically!), and am working on the clutch adjustment.

I appear to be having a problem with the clutch adjustment, and am not sure what could be wrong. When I first got everything in, there was a lot of play in the pedal. I adjust it out, and then put my foot on it, and the play comes back. Any ideas? Unfortunately, I don't have a second set of eyes today to watch things as I push the pedal down, so I don't get to see what, if anything, is flexing or otherwise bending. Anyone had this problem before?

It's a mcleod B&B Long style, if that makes a difference.

- Don

Are the bushings on the z shaft new? sounds like clutch fingers or throwout lazy. bumping you

Are the nylon bushings in your Z-bar installed properly?They may have fallen out upon removal?This will cause a binding and improper alighnment.Just a thought.

The bushings aren't new, but they don't appear to be very old or worn. of course, that probably doesn't mean that they aren't.

The bushings in the zbar are still installed properly. I guess I'm going to have to get someone to push on the pedal while I watch from underneath.

The really weird thing is that if I push the pedal down it only goes back to the original adjustment (maybe an inch and a half of play). It doesn't get worse than that (which is what i would expect). Speaking of which, how much play should the pedal have? I'm adjusting it to 1/8th to 1/2 inch, but is that too tight?

I guess the only way to figure out what's going on is to get someone to push on the pedal while I watch stuff move. I'll have to wait until I can get someone over here.

-Don

Inch, inch and a half good; 30 clearance between flywheel and clutch depressed good. I had problems with the z bar before, with no help. It all looked good, setting the trans back down, but I hadn't used enough ky jelly, and the rubber bands were to small, and were breaking, letting the bushings get installed wrong. 2 eyes solved it.

-
Back