clutch drum clearance question

-

matty wardle

mopar dedicated
Reaction score
i have just reassemble my front clutch drum with 5 alto red frictions and 5 kolene steels,its put together dry and i have 0.115 clearance to snap ring,in carl munroes book he says about 0.015 per friction which means it should only be 0.075,will this be ok and what are the ramifications of leaving it as is,cause i also read somewhere you can have up to 0.125 clearance in here......opinions

Attachments

• engine,clutch drum pics 009.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 124
  • engine,clutch drum pics 010.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 123
how thick are the steels and clutch disc...?,,you might be able to use a thicker disc/steel and snap ring to tighten up the clearance...

the OEM clearance is .075 to .150 with 5 disc

spec above is for a 904/999...read the wrong column

i have just reassemble my front clutch drum with 5 alto red frictions and 5 kolene steels,its put together dry and i have 0.115 clearance to snap ring,in carl munroes book he says about 0.015 per friction which means it should only be 0.075,will this be ok and what are the ramifications of leaving it as is,cause i also read somewhere you can have up to 0.125 clearance in here......opinions

5 disc clutch pack: .090 to .122 inches.
Make sure you soak the friction plates in ATF. Short life span on the frictions if installed dry.

it seems like i,m within the high end of the parameters,i,ll just put in as is,thanks guys matty............

You'll be fine, the overlap will be dialed in with good band adjustment and the orifice plug anyway.

Could you do me a huge favor?
Put the ring ends right there where the arrow is.

I'm sure it just me, but exposed ends on the retainer ring never seemed quite right.

Thank you. :)

Attachments

• drum.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 94
X3. And pull the clutch packs apart to soak them as stated before.

I watched a reverse servo eat it in a push button trans because of faulty snap ring install. Thankfully, even though it cocked in the bore, it didn't trash the push button case and the servo cracked instead of the case.

Could you do me a huge favor?
Put the ring ends right there where the arrow is.

I'm sure it just me, but exposed ends on the retainer ring never seemed quite right.

Thank you. :)
because you asked so nicely i,ll do it after i soak the clutchs and reasemble thanks matty!!!!!!!!!

because you asked so nicely i,ll do it after i soak the clutchs and reasemble thanks matty!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!
That would have bugged me forever.:thumleft: :D
Some things you just can't un see, ya know?

Like this.

Attachments

• hangar.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 96
-
Back