Clutch Fan difference?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
I need to buy a new clutch fan for my 340 Demon. What are the differences between these two?
Clutch fan nonthermal.jpg
Clutch fan thermal.jpg
I currently have the one on the right. Thanks

The top one is thermostatic. It responds to the temperature of the air coming off the back of the radiator to drive the fan or let it slip. The one on the bottom is just centrifugal; below a certain RPM it always drives the fan and above that RPM it lets the fan slip. More info here.

The thermostat type is more efficient, since it drives the fan only as needed. But, it is probably less rugged and it isn't easy to tell when a fan clutch is working correctly. For those that need a thinner clutch-fan, several people have used ones from a Jaguar. M-B fans are also thin and the one for my 1985 300D bolts up to my Mopar water pump w/ the same center hole diameter. They are so short, you can barely get a wrench on the mounting bolts.

i've started using napa's motorhome fan clutch , p/n 271303 . you must use a shaft bushing . should come with it . 413 440 motorhomes use indust type waterpump . it has a larger shaft then the light duty car type with a 5/8's shaft . same bolt pattern . and it is only alittle longer on the thermal fins in the face .

-
Back