clutch fan or not?

-

68ddart

Reaction score
can someone tell me what cooling fan is best for a 68 dart 340 cast iron pump factory radiator and shroud...pics and part numbers would help..i seen year one sells a factory looking clutch fan with a clutch around 100,i want it to cool well and look stock

If you want maximum cooling you can install a Hayden aftermarket thermal clutch fan. It looks very similar to the original torque fan.

I researched the crap out of Hayden heavy duty thermal clutch fans and found a Cadillac application (Hayden 2731 or 4 Seasons 36999) had the best fit with regard to depth in the shroud on a stock 3 core radiator, cast iron pump in a '69 Dart 340. The "correct" listed fan clutch 2707 and 2747 did not have the correct depth in the shroud.

If you want maximum cooling you can install a Hayden aftermarket thermal clutch fan. It looks very similar to the original torque fan.

I researched the crap out of Hayden heavy duty thermal clutch fans and found a Cadillac application (Hayden 2731 or 4 Seasons 36999) had the best fit with regard to depth in the shroud on a stock 3 core radiator, cast iron pump in a '69 Dart 340. The "correct" listed fan clutch 2707 and 2747 did not have the correct depth in the shroud.
what are the depth of them, do u remember ?

what are the depth of them, do u remember ?

The std Dart with 340 thermal 2707 has an overall length of 3.60 inches from water pump flange to end of thermal clutch, and a length of 2.03 inches from water pump flange to fan mount surface.

The Dart with 340 heavy duty thermal 2747 has an overall length of 3.34 inches from water pump flange to end of thermal clutch, and a length of 1.62 inches from water pump flange to fan mount surface.

The heavy duty 2731 "Cadillac application" has an overall length of 3.97 inches from water pump flange to end of thermal clutch, and a length of 2.25 inches from water pump flange to fan mount surface.

The 2731 placed the fan mid span on the blades in my reproduction shroud where is should be.

Last edited:
I put a used fan and clutch on my 70 swinger 318. I overheated and the fan clutch never engaged. It was a Hayden #2747 which is about 3.3" tall and almost impossible to install on the water pump snout. The clutch is a 1/2'' from the radiator. I was looking for a replacement and I looked on the O Reilly website and they list a Murray/ Hayden #2947 which is a tick less than 2 3/4" tall instead. They and Napa get +$95 for these. RockAuto has them for $51.79+ shipping. Thought you should know. toolmanmike

can someone tell me what cooling fan is best for a 68 dart 340 cast iron pump factory radiator and shroud...pics and part numbers would help..i seen year one sells a factory looking clutch fan with a clutch around 100,i want it to cool well and look stock
BEST cooling fan is the MoPar viscous unit with 5 blades BAR NONE & what mopar had before.

You have space limitations so measure twice order once.

The best is; a 7-blade, direct-drive, hi-attack, no-flex,all-steel fan, in a shroud, under a sealed to the core-support hood.

Whether or not you need the best is another answer
Are you referring to the weather stripping that you can get that goes under the hood? Would that affect engine temperature as I plan to cut out the middle of the hood and use the cake pan to seal to my dual snorkel?

I have a brand new Hayden HD clutch and fan for sale in the for sale section.

Man that's a beautiful set up that looks killer! The one I just got looks like it was attacked by someones leaking/ blown rotted radiator! Unfortunately I already bought the darn thang. I wish I would have seen yours first. I would have rather given you the money,spent a few more bucks and know I got a quality unit.

Last edited:
-
Back