Clutch fan thickness

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
Does anybody know the thickness of a clutch with a seven blade fan? I only have about 3 inches between my water pump pulley and my radiator on my 70 dart swinger 340.

A member has the fan clutch and shroud for sale but I don't want to buy it won't fit and help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

If you go to a place like NAPA online and do a search for "fan clutch" for your car it will give the dimensions.

With only 3" I assume you have some aftermarket setup going on. That isn't much room.

Like 68formula said go on line and look. They will give you dimensions. I have an aftermarket set up on mine with a/c and didn't have much clearance either. Remember It doesn't have to be specific for your car for it to work.

Thanks guys. The motor is a 340 in a 70 dart. I rebuilt it with stock replacement parts. I'm not sure why the clearance is so small. I know the radiator isn't factory to the car, because the PO drilled new holes to mount it, bit it doesn't look that thick.

I'll post some pics.

That is normal all small blocks in an A-Body have very tight radiator to fan clearance- You need to use a Hayden part # 2765 fan clutch it fits a Jag but work great on a Small block with clutch fan it is about 1 3/4 thick same as teh factory one that you cannot find.

Just for reference I have a Mopar Performance piece here, clutch 5 blade fan, and it's 3 1/4 to 3 5/16 inch from mount to front of clutch.

That is normal all small blocks in an A-Body have very tight radiator to fan clearance- You need to use a Hayden part # 2765 fan clutch it fits a Jag but work great on a Small block with clutch fan it is about 1 3/4 thick same as teh factory one that you cannot find.

Awesome.

Thanks!

The Fan to use would be part # 2863216 or 2863215 will also work 7 seven blade 18.5 "
Correct fan Shroud 2998325

Well, this^^^^ had me worried I couldn't use the MP piece I have so I went out and measured.

I have 5 inches of clearance on my Dart Sport from pump face to radiator. Original engine/rad.

5" is about right -by the time you add the clutch & fan you usally have about 2" clearance between the fan & radiator. Which is not much room compared to other cars

Well, this^^^^ had me worried I couldn't use the MP piece I have so I went out and measured.

I have 5 inches of clearance on my Dart Sport from pump face to radiator. Original engine/rad.

Interesting. Maybe the waterpump I bought is a little longer. I was measuring with the pulleys on, which I thought were stock.

I finished the motor rebuild a few months ago and took it out for its first test drive over the weekend. It was 80* outside and the temps were consistent 205-210 in traffic. (Didn't take on hwy) I have 17" Electric Fan now (3K CFM) I will see how them temps are once the motor breaks in some more.

I was just thinking a clutch fan and shroud might be the best option overall.

Interesting. Maybe the waterpump I bought is a little longer. I was measuring with the pulleys on, which I thought were stock.

I measured with the pulleys on as well. I measured from the pulley face where it sits on the pump to the rad. I have a spacer on mine to put the fan into the shroud.

I'll have to see on mine, I think if I put the MP unit on without the spacer the fan will sit just about in the same spot (1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud) but the clutch will be about 2 inches from the rad surface.

I measured with the pulleys on as well. I measured from the pulley face where it sits on the pump to the rad. I have a spacer on mine to put the fan into the shroud.

I'll have to see on mine, I think if I put the MP unit on without the spacer the fan will sit just about in the same spot (1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud) but the clutch will be about 2 inches from the rad surface.

I am not sure what different about mine. The only thing that could be the culprit, is the radiator. I know its not stock for an my A body because the PO drilled new holes for it. I will get the exact measurement and see if that Hayden clutch will work.

I have a feeling its going to be too close.

I am not sure what different about mine. The only thing that could be the culprit, is the radiator. I know its not stock for an my A body because the PO drilled new holes for it. I will get the exact measurement and see if that Hayden clutch will work.

I have a feeling its going to be too close.

Yeah, it could be a three row instead of two.

-
Back