Clutch fork questions

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help us here, my brother is "74duster" and his computer is down so I'm trying to help him out. He put a 440 into his 74 duster with a 4 speed, and went with a hydraulic clutch setup because of clearance issues with his headers. (Here is his original post)http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=36167
Hes having some problems getting the clutch setup configured correctly, and the big question right now is clutch fork travel. Can anyone give us an idea how far the fork needs to move to release the clutch? It's impossible to muscle by hand, but he needs an approximate travel distance to know where to attach the slave cylinder to the fork. Thanks in advance.

Dunno but if I were setting one up I'd start with a fully retracted slave piston and make doubely sure It can never run the release bearing continuously. Like a 3/4 to 1 inch space between relese bearing and pressure plate.
From there the stroke length of the slave will surely get you there.

Good point, problem is, the dang slave only has a stroke of a little over an inch, so its gotta mount pretty far down the fork at a point where it's travel is similar. Thats where he got stuck, having the engine/trans assembled in the car and not knowing what the normal travel of the fork is.

Can't answer the throw length. Maybe call Brewers and ask them. The problem with the throw length at the end of the fork, the length of the arm from pivot to slave attachment will make a difference.

I've seen lots of forks that have been shortened on the linkage side to get the slave travel length adequate to engage the throwout bearing and not overswing it.

Good luck trying to move the arm, engaging the throwout/depressing the pp, by hand without some kind of mechanical advatage.

With the clutch released you are looking for about 0.050" of separation. Measure the distance from the pivot point on the fork to the center of the fork tips and divide that into the distance from the pivot on the fork to the center where the rod goes through. This is the leverage ratio of the fork. Multiple the ratio times 0.050" and that will tell you how much the slave cylinder has to stroke to get the clutch to seperate 0.050".

-
Back