Clutch recommendations for 500+ torque 383

-

jdprdise

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a street/strip 68 Gts and have some
Clutch questions. I'm pulling the original engine and putting a MRL Built 383 and I was wondering on what clutch I should use. The engine is going to be 500hp 500tq. I'm also going to be a putting in an 18 spline a833, moser Dana 60. So what would be a good clutch for this application and any suggestions on other changes so that I don't blow anything my first run.

Thanks

Brace your firewall because it WILL flex. Also brace your engine so it cannot shift toward or back. Start easy and work up to that Banzai run.

Brace your firewall because it WILL flex. Also brace your engine so it cannot shift toward or back. Start easy and work up to that Banzai run.

Is there a company that makes firewall supports for a 68 Dart? Also with the engine, would solid motor mounts be sufficient? I read somewhere if you use them you should use a poly trans mount?

Thanks for all the help

I have about 430 hp. My engine is fine on old 68 style biscuits, and a Schumacher torque limiter. Diaphragm clutch. No other engine restraints. No firewall brace. Transmount from a 73 car with a poly mount.

Get a steel bellhouse and a d/s loop and 1350 yokes..
And diapers......

IMO, Centerforce has slipped terribly in quality in the past several years. Pun intended. I have seen more weights fly off and cause major mayhem than I can count. And IN PERSON LOCAL PEOPLE THAT I KNOW FIRST HAND. I think they have either outsourced to another country, OR they have seriously cut quality trying to make a dollar. Either way, they suck compared to what they once were. That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it.

My CF was purchased back in about 2002, and has been in there ever since. The discs have been replaced several times. Occasionally the flyweights seem to stick, and cause a cruise vibration. I just pedal it a bit and it gets back to normal. Sometimes it takes a couple of times.

Go to your local Dodge dealer. Parts department. Pick up the mopar performance "chassis"book. This will give you the lowdown on what you want to do. Motor mounts,scattershields,shift linkage. How to modify your clutch linkage. Which side cover is best. Shift forks,gear ratios. And that's just the manual trans chapter. It has a lot of info you can benefit from. Check it out.

-
Back