Clutch Recommendations

-

tamanko

Reaction score
Finishing up a transmission swap and need a clutch. Engine is pretty much a stock 318-4B mated to an A833 with overdrive. Looking at Rock Auto who sells Exedy, Brute Power, Sach's & AcDelco. Leaning towards a 10-1/2" with a diaphragm pressure plate. Not going to be a racer, more of a street cruiser. Any recommendations or pros/cons?

Thanks, Frank

I am curious to what other members have used as I have a stock replacement clutch with about the same combo. I have heard the diaphragm style doesn't work well with an overcenter spring on the pedal.

I think the the centerforce dual friction is a nice street clutch. You need to take the over under spring off though.

When I redid the GTS Dart I decided to try a diapham clutch instead of the Borg and Beck. Bad choice I hate it. The pedal pressure on the diapham isn't constant and changes right around the friction point. Makes it difficult to drive a manual trans with that condition. Creats a quick enganement that's hard to control. Going to go back to the BB style.

When I redid the GTS Dart I decided to try a diapham clutch instead of the Borg and Beck. Bad choice I hate it. The pedal pressure on the diapham isn't constant and changes right around the friction point. Makes it difficult to drive a manual trans with that condition. Creats a quick enganement that's hart to control. Going to go back to the BB style.

Do you still have the over-center spring in?

Do you still have the over-center spring in?

It did. I removed it today to see if it would help. I didn't have a chance to drive it but I did an initial test going in and out of the garage. It seems better. Have to give it a road test to actual test it.

It did. I removed it today to see if it would help. I didn't have a chance to drive it but I did an initial test going in and out of the garage. It seems better. Have to give it a road test to actual test it.

Diaphragm clutches don't like the over center spring. Hope it works better.

The last clutch I tried was a B&B, stock replacement. I must admit, it was sweet, butter smooth for about a week.

It went out because I was really asking more from a stock replacement than I should have.

The last clutch I tried was a B&B, stock replacement. I must admit, it was sweet, butter smooth for about a week.

It went out because I was really asking more from a stock replacement than I should have.

Much better now so I'm probably not going to be in a big hurry to swap it out.

I went thru this last summer.
Zoom MU series borg and beck with their flywheel had the trans out 3 times, car never left the jack stands.
The petal was really stiff, and would not release even though the pressure plate could be adjusted off the plate, cheap oversease junk.
Zoom tech said it was defective and to send it back.
Excellent customer service.

Went to a centerforce, dual fricton, the petal lets out almost at the end of the travel, but it don't slip, it grabs right now.
I took the spring off and it is like pushing a hydralic clutch. Very easy, modern newer car easy.

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, the Zoom was about $300 with flywheel and the Centerforce was $800 with flywheel.

-
Back