clutch safety switch

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I have been looking all over for the 4 speed clutch safety switch and I'll be dammed if I can find it. I am pretty sure 72 Duster 4 speeds had a safety switch. The car starts without pushing the clutch which is kinda dangerous. I can see someone getting in the car and turning the key while it is in gear. No doubt it will fire and take off. (not good). Can someone tell me what I need to do? I think it has been rigged to start without pushing in the clutch.

it is a simple normally open switch mounted on the clutch pedal when the pedal is pushed it becomes normally closed and is grounded.
In most cases it is just bypassed simply by grounding out the the wire from it to the starter relay.

Thanks for the info. I found what looks like a switch on the clutch petal. It is round with a wire going through the firewall. There is a spring like wire also attached to the clutch petal, so I am thinking that is what the switch would ground to? My problem is it will start without having to push the clutch. Do I need a new switch or could it be something different. Is there some way of testing the switch? Sorry for all the questions I know alot about bodywork, but when it comes to electrical I am lost.

Thanks for the info. I found what looks like a switch on the clutch petal. It is round with a wire going through the firewall. There is a spring like wire also attached to the clutch petal, so I am thinking that is what the switch would ground to? My problem is it will start without having to push the clutch. Do I need a new switch or could it be something different. Is there some way of testing the switch? Sorry for all the questions I know alot about bodywork, but when it comes to electrical I am lost.

You should be able to test the switch with an Ohm meter. Disconnect the wire and then ohm's check it. As mentioned, with the pedal up at the top there should be infinate ohms and with it depressed it should read zero or near zero ohms. Also with the wire unplugged, will the starter still work, if so it's been bypassed at the starter relay most likely.

Thanks again for your help, I unpluged the wire and iy will still start. I need to find out how it was bypassed. Where should the wire go when it comes from the switch?

-
Back