clutch size? best street clutch

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a used flywheel for my small block the clutch bolt holes measure just over 11.5" center to center. Is this a 10.5" clutch size? Also would like clutch kit recommendations stock 75 318 with 4 barrel and dual exhaust in a 66 Dart with 3.55 sure grip. Mostly cruising rare trip to the strip. Definitely need to be economical in price.

I found out I can use the standard 10.5" clutch (called ram clutches). But I am still looking for recommendations on clutch kits.

We are installing a dual friction 10.5" clutch from South Bend Clutch..I did tell Peter @ SBC that we were going to run this car 90% on the street and 10% drag strip..and when it does see the strip..we may be side stepping the clutch at 5000 rpms..and he said do it..
Peter said that we would love how the clutch hold not only on the strip but also the street manners.

Rick

I was trying to save money on my engine swap so I used an Exedy kit from Jegs. It came with a pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, pilot bushing and alignment tool. It was just under $125. The kit says it is a Borg & Beck but mine showed up with a diaphragm which didn't bother me because I like diaphragms. The clutch has smooth engagement and no clutch chatter which a lot of inexpensive clutches can have. I also haven't been able to slip it yet, just the tires.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_763643_-1_10669

Chuck

How built up is you're motor? I'm assuming its a 340. And how long have you had the clutch?

I put it in my '72 Duster daily driver, 318, headers, performer intake, Q-jet carb, 3.23 gears and an 833 OD trans. I have 3,800 miles on the motor but drive 50 miles a day.

Chuck

I got the SB DXD StageIII and love it. But they are spendy. Decent street manners and grabs real hard on launch when you want it to. Actually made the car somewhat scary getting used to with the Powertrax locker back there behind it.

what's with this side stepping the clutch pedal?? that only breaks parts. plus you have no control of the pedal. I thought that went out with flat head fords?, guess not!!! real clutch racers, let the clutch out very fast, with their foot on the pedal. this way they can shift easier and faster.
I can see the guy telling you to do it, he's not paying for broken parts!!

You can please some of the people some of the time but you cannot please all the people all the time. Whenever I side step the clutch the appropriate things happen,it seems as though if you raise your foot really fast it would cause the clutch to slip! Opinions VARY.

-
Back