clutch spline lube?

-

jaws

I put the fun in dysfunctional
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Doing a clutch on my Chrysler coupe. Has a 833 4spd in it.This is the first time I have ever received a tube of spline lube. It's a small black tube, says spline lube on it. Done plenty of clutch's, and have never used such a thing. Any body else ever use something like it?

Yes on my motorcycles .Never heard of it in a car but it can't hurt as long as you don't put too much on.Usually it's some sort of moly compound

I bought a clutch kit from Rock Auto "regretted doing so" last fall and it came with a pack of spline lube. I had the very same question about using it. A lot of people said "not to" back then.

I would say a very light coating. Centrifugal force would throw it onto the disc and friction surfaces if you use too much and you don't want lube there.

I would say a very light coating. Centrifugal force would throw it onto the disc and friction surfaces if you use too much and you don't want lube there.

Yep, a very light brushing of the lube on the splines is all you want to use, but it is a good thing.
It helps to make sure your clutch releases like it should, because the clutch disc needs to move forward and back slightly on the splines, and if it doesn't it can cause the disc to drag against the pressure plate.

still debating this, I may leave it dry, never had one hang up on me. This thing is a ***** to get the clutch out. Motor and trans have to come out the front as a unit.

Just apply it with an old toothbrush so that it doesnt build up in the splines. All you need is some residue... any more than that would be thrown off .

I've never lubed mine since the 70s, and never had an issue.
In the clutch section of my 1969 FSM there is an emboldened warning saying;

"Caution: do not lubricate splines or pilot end of transmission drive pinion, when installing transmission. These areas must be kept dry."

Too risky of lube getting on clutch, and lube attracts dirt, never used any and never any problems

-
Back