Coil help

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
I recently out in a rebuilt motor into my jeep. I havent ran it yet because I cant start it. I have no spark. When I clamp my tester to the neg on the coil and put it to ground it lights up. I tried the wire from the distributor and nothing on ground. So there is positive power coming the neg side of the coil. Can you guys help, Its a 1944 willys jeep with a L134 engine all stock.

In your coil circuit, you have 6 or 12 volts to the + side of the coil, if the points in the distributor happen to be open then in that coil circuit you have an open (the points) meaning there is no current (amps.) flowing in that circuit. There for, if you have an open circuit you will indeed have 6/12 volts all in that circuit up to and including one side of the contacts of the points. When the points close and contact is made the circuit will them be a complete circuit that will flow current and at that point you should not see voltage on the negative side of the coil.

I'm not to farmiliar with these jeeps, is the dist. easily accessable? If so I would turn the engine so the points are closed, pull off the dist. cap, have the ignition switch in the run position and use an insulated pointer or what ever you have handy and push the points open while you are watching the coil wire for spark. ( to get the spark you will have to hold it off a ground 1/8" or so. Then let the points close for around 15 seconds and open the points again checking for spark. (The coil sparks when you open the circuit). Hope this helps.

You may also want to check or change the condenser (near the points). If it's no good you'll never get spark.

-
Back