Coil Near Plug conversion Timing light will not work with LS coils

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
As the title of the post states, my timing light will not work with LS coils.

I am in the process of finishing up my Coil Near Plug conversion on my Big Block Dart GT convertible "Home-Brewed"

This is an XFI 2.0 and XIM system.

The car starts and runs.

I am trying to check my base timing by setting the fixed timing to 20*, but the timing light will not flash.

I have a Actron CP7528 inductive timing light.

This timing light works on my 5.7 Hemi in my 2003 Ram and everything else I use it on.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Herb aka "Dart67"

Could you temporarily mount the coil away from the plug and run a spark plug wire to allow setting of the timing?

Could you temporarily mount the coil away from the plug and run a spark plug wire to allow setting of the timing?

This is Coil Near Plug. There is a 6 inch 8mm MSD plug wire from the coil to the spark plug.

This wire is the same wire that went to the distributor only shortened.

Doesent the ecm display timing via crank sensor? Its done through software, no? The spark energy is there i would assume,and engine runs.
Ther is no logical reason the light shouldnt work unless spark is really weak.

Doesent the ecm display timing via crank sensor? Its done through software, no? The spark energy is there i would assume,and engine runs.
Ther is no logical reason the light shouldnt work unless spark is really weak.

Yes, the ECU does display the timing. But for the display to be correct, The Base timing is temporarily set to a fixed 20* in the setup and then checked on the timing tab to make sure it is correct and matches.

The engine starts and runs, just need to verify the timing is correct before proceeding with tuning.

I assume you have tried turning the pickup clamp around on the wire. Also try temporarily gapping a plug REALLY WIDE like maybe .060-.080 and see if that will trigger it.

Maybe try building about 1 foot extension wire and move the light pickup around on there

Otherwise look around C/L for an old non-inductive light

I assume you have tried turning the pickup clamp around on the wire. Also try temporarily gapping a plug REALLY WIDE like maybe .060-.080 and see if that will trigger it.

Maybe try building about 1 foot extension wire and move the light pickup around on there

Otherwise look around C/L for an old non-inductive light

Del,

Yes I have swapped the pickup clamp around.. Did not work.

I have borrowed @spl440 's timing light and it works..

Herb

Try using a longer 7mm wire maybe the 8mm is just to well insulated.

-
Back