coil over conversion- torsion bar replacement

-

72chargerguy

Reaction score
So I am doing a coil-over converion on my A-body. While I could simply take crank the torsion bars down so they are unloaded, that does not get rid of the weight. What have you guys done to remove the torsion bar itself and mount the lower control arm?

I was referring to the loose side of the control arm, where the torsion bar came out. I wasn't sure if I needed to add anything for safety. After speaking with a couple of people, I know that I can either leave it as is or drill and tap the mounting stud and add a bolt.

This is my first experience with torsion bars, so pardon my ignorance.

jack the car up, loosen the bolt to the T-bar on the lower control arm, get a mini grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut the T-bar in half, silde the two pieces out. remove the lower control arm and clean everythingt out. Reinstall your new aftermarket lower control arm. (HUGE!!!!!!!!!) To my knowledge you CAN NOT use your stock lower cotrol arm with out a alfermarket pin to reatach to the K frame. I think you have to use the T bars with the stock lower control arm. What kit are you using to do the coilover change?

If it's an all out race car, I'd probably replace the bushings in the LCA with needle bearings and weld a bit of bar stock in behind the torsion bar mount, support the bar stock with square tubing welded to the K-member, then use a Grade 8 bolt and castle nut as a replacement for the pivot.

that shaft is tappered. Buy your LCA from some one who has done the homework. You really want to trust your life or others to an unengineered piece you fabed with a hodge-podge of part? Just my opinion.

I dont think the torsion bar has any effect on retaining the lower control arm, if it did then whats retaining the torsion bar? i think the stud on the k-member and the strut rod keep the lca in place.

i cant remember, i should have taken more pics. i do remember the LCA didnt fall off when the T-Bars were cut. The LCA has the tappered stud pin/bolt that goes in the K member. Check the mopar build book.

The LCA is pressed onto a bushing that is also pressed onto the mounting shaft. The torsion bar does not retain the LCA persay but if the bushing fails it will keep the LCA from departing from the K-member.

IMHO, if you do not use a properly designed kit you will be making step backwards in perfoance and will be taking a big safety risk.

-
Back