Coil Question

-

22dog22

Reaction score
No start, ballast resistor not in this system, so I know that is not problem. have high output coil, when I check with a test light I have power to the + coil, but if I use a digital meter and read across the - and + of the coil I get NO reading at all. Is the coil bad ??

Maybe you can give us some details about what ignition system? Are we workin on a Chevy here? Maseratti? Farmall tractor?

Can’t say about the coil from this info. Sounds like your digital meter isn’t working right.

Yes, what ignition is it and how was it wired in? Incorrect wiring/installation would also cause your symptoms.

Sorry !, car is a 69 Barracuda, has 318 auto, has a none oem ignition system, the system is a Pro Comp Electronics pc 7000, dist. and matching Pro Comp pc91 high output coil, there is no resister block, the coil and dist, must have full 12 volts to work. As I stated used a good known digital meter across the - and + on the coil no reading shows up, but I did use the same meter on the hot wire suppling power to the coil and have 11.5 volts, my question is , is the coil bad since I do not get the full volts when the meter is across the - and + on the coil , when I do a ohm resistance test it come back at .06 ohm which is what the coil is rated at.

I think the coil is fine if the primary and secondary resistance measurements are within spec......Although, I have seen them break down under load.

Here is the easy test;
Near-ground the coil's hi-voltage output wire, anywhere from .25 >.5 inch.
Send battery voltage to the Coil +.
Run a jumper wire back towards a known to be good, ground.
Watching the Hi-voltage wire, slap the jumper to ground and get it off as fast as you can. You should see a spark every time you break the circuit.

If you cannot get a spark in this manner turn the coil off and go find a long coarse file. Lay the file on a grounded to the battery, surface. Holding the jumper, turn the power back on to the coil-plus. Now lightly strike and quickly drag your jumper along the file, watching the coil-tower. If the coil is good, and if you have done it like I said, then you will see a stream of sparks jumping to ground as the jumper-wire makes and breaks to ground.
Badaboom! that's how you do it; move to the next component.

Did you connect the car's Ign1 and Ign2 wires together before you connected them to the feed for the ProComp dist.?
when I check with a test light I have power to the + coil, but if I use a digital meter and read across the - and + of the coil I get NO reading at all.
If you're using the voltage setting, you won't get a reading measuring across the + and - terminals.

First,
You must test the coil resistance with a DVM the ign off [ no power to the coil ]. If it reads open cct under this condition, then the coil is bad. Touch the meter leads together to make sure the meter goes to zero or close to zero [ meter is working ].
Secondly, you will not get an accurate reading using a digital meter when measuring the sec ohms.

-
Back