coil wired backwards!

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 duster slant, points, I of course, dragged it home not running, last time liscensed was 20 yrs ago. fresh battery, getting gas, no start, I check for fire at coil, none, I see PO has wired it backwards! it has new looking condenser, points..... question is... did they fry the coil, points, condensor, or whatever. it is getting 12 v at coil. I stopped messing with it at that point, HOT and HUMID, NO wind! tomorrow!!????
just wondering??

No you did not fry the coil. Coil was not making a lot of spark. But coil is fine.

All this does is some coils make less spark, and wears the plug ground electrode, "so I'm told."

You're fine. Switch it around. Call it good. Your bound to find 2 people that will give you a 700 word paragraph on the bad things that happend and you need to rebuild your entire ignition system. Throw up 7 red flags and somehow the topic will change to what cylinder head are you running? Lol

"Some things" about points ignition:

Worn/ burned points will not make a decent spark, or parked for long time can corrode. A bad/ poor condenser (capacitor) can cause little or no spark

Obviously the coil or coil WIRE could be bad

Some distributors (dual points) must have a separate little ground wire internally from the points breaker plate to the dist. housing. This is because that plate moves on ball bearings

Do NOT leave the key in "run" without running for extended time. This will burn up the points, and sometimes even the coil or ballast

I will get back to it today if the humidity will drop below !20% !! I can handle the 95 degrees though. someone before me messed with it, and the condenser looks like shiney new, I cleaned the point some. I will see if it is at TDC and on #1. no telling.
I like to change over to YES mopar electronic ign. but I will have to see if the slant is any good first.
I have a good runnng 318 I could drop in, but I do like my slants. if it has no compression the 318 will go in this fall when it cools down some.

u guys were right. no damage done..... it is amazing how the coil now does its job with the wires NOT hooked up backwards!! I replaced the points, condenser... checked for correct TDC and dist. indexed.... fired at the tock of the key.... clutch even worked!!! now, some brakes, and water in rad. maybe the rad w ill even be good! ha.. no way! it has been no doubt sitting dry since last time o the road, '06??? ole time rad. shops have always told me the worst thing for a rad. is to sit without antifreeze. rots!

!!COOL!! And by that I mean, "so far" at 1:15PM, it IS cooler here today than yesterday

!!COOL!! And by that I mean, "so far" at 1:15PM, it IS cooler here today than yesterday

I feel bad for the heat you guys are getting, bad fires all around too. and last winter looedk like the great north west got snow every week!??

I flushed the rad but it has nice leak and I see where a tube right beside that spot has been brazed before. I am new here to SE Tx . if back a t the old place in Missouri, I had 2 old time rad. shops that would clean this rad, check it out, and if no good, NO charge! bet I can't find such here!! 71 slant duster, I am thinking a replacement rad. is available at parts store/ Rock etc....
BUT it fire at the touch of the key, and the clutch works!! been sitting for how man years??? a PO must have rebuilt the carb, and hooked up the coil backwards. they spliced what looks like a 12 ga wire from the dist. should be a pretty small wire there? 14 or 16 ga? guess it doesn't matter??
life is good!

-
Back