Colder Spark Plugs Stop Pinging?

-

QuickDart360

Reaction score
My dart sport 360 will sometimes detonate/ping in warm hot weather. Engine is a stock stroke 360. It is a hot street set up. 340 X-heads, 292/508 mopar cam, KB107 flat top pistons. 340 Victor intake 850 thermoquad off an ex drag race Cuda so it is modified with fatter jets and such. 727 transmission with a turbo action street strip valve body, 9.5" FTI 3400-3600 stall converter. 8.25 rear with 3.91's and an Auburn sure grip unit. Car runs strong and sweet. But have to run 93 octane fuel and will add a bottle of stp octane boost. But it seems to not do much for octane. I have disconnected vacuum advance and car runs strong still but helps somewhat to reduce the ping. Will colder plugs help?

Meh, I didn't find colder plugs made a huge difference. Maybe slightly better. The number one biggest thing that did it for me was cooling the engine down. A 160 high flow thermostat did it for me.

Use a plug for a stock 340, lower total timing till it stops pinging.

STP octane boost will keep the run on away.
What's the cranking compression?

get rid of extended gap plugs and install regular gap plugs, at colder heat range. like was said lower water temp down helps,

Well it doesn't run on. I guess I understood if it runs on after shut off? It only pings some if I get on it say if I'm running about 30 to 35 miles an hour and then hit the loud pedal. Especially if I have been driving it a good while in hot summer weather. It tends to ping and then can't smoke the wise guy beside me. I also think the ethanol in the gas even though it's 93 octane, is part of the problem. I would go non ethanol but Want to make it work with the gas readily available to me at any pump.

I've had run on , but no pinging, that I could hear. @ RUSTYRATROD, MOPAROFFICIAL, and others could do WAY BETTER than me attempting to direct you...

I've had no issues with champions. Always used them even when I had the slant 6.
I live in a really hot, and high traffic area, my bike with a S@S B and .565 cams liked them better, so did all my over cammed and over carbed Mopars, PLEASE Don't think I am taking Your thread that way. They just seem to not get as gas fouled. My Apologies

I live in a really hot, and high traffic area, my bike with a S@S B and .565 cams liked them better, so did all my over cammed and over carbed Mopars, PLEASE Don't think I am taking Your thread that way. They just seem to not get as gas fouled. My Apologies
No apology needed. Everyone has their favorite brand of plugs so no hard feelings at all!

What's cranking comp with the carb open and what does your timing curve look like?
Heads?
What advance springs if changed?
Timing curve is conservative. I believe 16 initial and is an fbo distributor with limiter plate. Fbo sold it to me already with plate. So paperwork had where to set up. Maybe not best initial best starts and runs strong. Cranking compression no idea. Heads a stock 340 X- heads.

-
Back