color

-

no1newb

Reaction score
ok guys, i need to respray some areas of my car, there is one bare spot and a few spots that have been dinged and knocked the paint off. the guy before me said the color was Rose Quarts. i cant find this color anywhere, but then again, i have no experience with paint or buying paint or anything.

Can anybody either correct me on the color, or let me know where i can find the color. canned would be best, since im not a professional and dont need it to be perfect. but i can find a paint gun for cheap if i need to.

The only Rose Quartz I know of is from SAAB.What you can do is take your car to a auto paint supply store ,or even NAPA(if yours sells auto paint) and you can look through the color chips and if you find it,then you can choose the variances that matches your cars paint,but do it in the sunlight.They also have cameras that scan your paint and can find the closest match.

If the gas cap is the same color as the rest of the car, take it to any of the major automotive paint suppliers' (e.g. PPG, DuPont, ICI, Sherwin-Williams, etc.) local outlets. Most have the ability to color match and will require a sample at least the size of a quarter.

The guys at the paint shop may even be able to tell what kind of paint you have on the car, or at least offer educated guesses. Tell the counter person about your project and he'll be able to set you up with the correct catalyst and stuff to spray and clean-up afterwards. My shop always throws in a few stir sticks and strainer funnels.

How big and where is this bare spot you speak of? The other small chips can be fixed with touch up. It'll look a lot better than rattle canning the paint on there. It looks like you have a pretty nice looking paint job. Probably cost you half as much at the paint shop as well.

Yuck thats gonna look bad no matter what you do. You can either tape it off so basically only that huge chip is showing and then rattle can it. Or you can take it further away from the chip and "feather" the paint so it blends better.

Or if you have a buffer and its two stage paint (base coat and clear coat) , you can touch it up a bunch so there is plenty of paint in there. Make sure it's totally dry and then sand it with 2000 grit. Then buff it and hopefully it makes it look relatively smooth without pulling any of the paint out.

i was probabbly going to tape a square out, cut it, take a chip to napa or some place, and prime, paint and clear coat it. how many coats of each?, 2-3 primer. 2-3 paint, 1-2 clear?

-
Back