column shift to console shift question/opionion

-

2kids

Reaction score
I'm considering swapping from a column shift to a console shift....1971 Dart Swinger.

For those who have already done this what I'm reading on a lot of the posts is that a couple of the linkage pieces are hard to track down. Then I see a fair number of people who had planned to do the swap but then decide to go a different route (but usually they don't say what).

So are people throwing in the towel on the stock console swap because a couple of parts are hard to find or ??.

I'm thinking about maybe going with an aftermarket shifter for now and either gradually accumulating the stock parts or just getting the stock console and brackets to eventually put with the aftermarket shifter as I've seen a few people do.

So I guess I'm just mostly wondering about tracking down ALL of the correct linkage and brackets to do the swap...do most people have success with this or give up on it due to cost or just lack of parts and go with something else?

Thanks!

lol...that title is suppose to say "opinion"

Just finished the swap myself , there are many threads with measurement for mount brackets very helpful, linkage parts are out there, I have bought a few from members on this site ( thanks to all)! Check for sale adds there are consoles, brackets, linkage on there, and trust me when your done you will thank yourself and others that helped cause bottom line it's friggin cool!!

Oh yah. When you find a good thread don't forget to checkout bottom of page for similar threads that's where I found most useful info!

Am I correct that any 67-74? A body console and shifter will work in my 71 Dart. I know that there are different buttons on the shifter but other than that they are the same?

Am I correct that any 67-74? A body console and shifter will work in my 71 Dart. I know that there are different buttons on the shifter but other than that they are the same?

Yes, I believe they all function the same, but diff. years have diff. appearance, if that matters.

Actually, i believe it's '66 -75 model years apply.

Yes, I believe they all function the same, but diff. years have diff. appearance, if that matters.

Actually, i believe it's '66 -75 model years apply.

Thanks!

Still looking for parts and trying to make my decision on how I'll go with this in the process.

-
Back