Column shifter for a 727 Transmission

-

jcsquare

Reaction score
Is the column shifter linkage for a 340 engine/727 transmission the same as the column shifter linkage for a 318 engine/ 904 transmission? I am trying to use the column shifter linkage from my 318/904 on my 340/727 transmission but it will not go go into park.

Does ayone have a 340/727 column shifter linkage for sale? (see diagram)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Column%20Gearshift%20Torque%20Shaft%20Trans%20Bracket.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,810
Is the column shifter linkage for a 727 transmission the same as the column shifter linkage for a 904 transmission? I am trying to use the column shifter linkage from my 904 on my 727 transmission. My car does not go into park.

Do I need to adjust the front or rear rod?(see diagram)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i am using the wrong rod, does anyone have one for sale.

Thanks.

The rear rod at the swivel assembly

The torque shaft, rear rod and trans bracket are all different for a 727 from a 904 and have different part numbers accordingly the only parts that are the same is the column rod and the frame bracket

actualy i did a similar swap in my duster and i didnt have a problem i just made sure it was adjusted properly the only problem i had was whoever did the swap from a standard to auto didnt put a clip in on the back side of the frame mount

I would say you had at least some of the correct 727 pieces to begin with or it was jigger rigged before (god knows there is tons of that goin on!) because the width of the torque shaft is different by a few inches, Lever is at a different position, the trans bracket for the 727 sits at a different position and the lower rod is a different length and curved different how do you figure that could work!

I did it with mish mashed parts.Cutting grinding and helper required to get adjusted,Good luck Kevin.

Usually you can get the 904 parts to work except for the bell housing torqueshaft bracket which needs more serious mods. I've just cut a little off the end of the torqueshaft so it doesn't hit the case and readjust and/or rebend the rear rod.

Usually you can get the 904 parts to work except for the bell housing torqueshaft bracket which needs more serious mods. I've just cut a little off the end of the torqueshaft so it doesn't hit the case and readjust and/or rebend the rear rod.

thats actualy what i did except cutting the torqueshaft nd bending the rear rod

Anyone have the same thing as this, just NOT for the column shifter, but on the floor? did they even make such a thing? (I was asked by my step-son, if this was something I could find out for him and his neighbor.....

PM if you have something as such! Thanks!

a 727 is wider than a 904 by about an inch so a 904 torque shaft is a bit long.Also the trans mount is at a different height...i think it can be mounted below the trans. boss to keep it level.
These parts are hard to find because there aren't a lot of column shifted 340's around.
..now that i think of it it seems that a van trans. bracket may be the right height.

-
Back