Column to Console Shifter Swap

-

Freighttrain

Reaction score
Does anyone have a template or pictures that they can share to show where the floor needs to be cut to use a console floor shifter in a 70 duster instead of using the column?
Thanks

First off, manual trans is a different ball game. Addon floor hump for shifter required.
For automatic, OEM floor pan is stamped for center of a large hole where the shaft goes through and the 3 smaller holes for boot attach screws.
The floor pan is not marked where automatic shifter stand and the 2 console mounts are welded in. There once was a template, available from a member here, to properly locate those parts. I dont know if that is still available today.
The only good part... The holes in brackets for 4 console mounting screws are slotted. If they are welded fairly close to where they belong you could smack the heck out of them with a hammer to get them closer. They do need end up pretty close. Forward to back so shifter reaches park and low is a given. If console is skewed left or right the sliding blind in the console will not survive long term.
A note about that large hole for automatic shifter down rod... I didn't own a hole saw that large. I figured out how to geter done with what I do have on hand. 2 holes. So the hole beneath my floor shifter boot looks like a 8 or more like a 2 ball snowman.
one more note... In years to come you will discover the conversion was a lot more trouble than it was worth. The OEM console with no cup holders and no arm rest is nothing more than another glovebox that requires more cleaning.

Last edited:
This might help:

attachment.jpg

I received these from a member but never used them. It should give you an idea where the brackets go.

console_tech1.jpg

console_tech3.jpg

console_tech4.jpg

console_tech6.jpg

console_tech7.jpg

consolebracketmeasurements.jpg

I have a 71 duster in a project state and if you need any real-time measurements and pictures, I can go to my storage yard and help out.
As far as the hole for the shift rod to go thru the floor. Its clear where it goes in the floor. The drive side of the trans tunnel has a flat round spot for where it goes.

-
Back