Column to floor shift question?

-

notchbuilder

Reaction score
I am new to the site and have a question that I could not find an answer to in previous threads. I want to swap from column to floor shift on my 68 Notchback. I have not had the best of luck finding a complete floor console with shifter and all the linkage for the swap.

Has anyone tried to convert the stock floor shifter to a cable shift? This way I could avoid all the needed linkage for this conversion.

Any knowledge is appreciated

Thanks

I swapped my '73 Dodge D100 to a cable operated floor shift that was installed in a home built console. The shifter was from a front wheel drive Mopar. I had to make a bell crank and mounting hardware so the cable would move the proper distance as the gear was selected. It wasn't difficult, but required some accurate measurements. I also made brackets to attach the cable at the console and transmission. Again, it wasn't especially difficult as I just made pieces from metal stock available at Lowes.

I will be doing something similar on the '56 Plymouth I'm building, but will use brackets designed for the job from the company that makes the cable. Last time I checked, Lokar had them, but I've seen others.

Are you changing out the column or just leaving the column shift stuff in? If so changing to a floor shift column is fairly easy, just find a floor shift column and put it in. They are fairly easy to rebuild as well if you find a core. Just make sure you get the correct shaft for the type of steering you want be it manual or power. Be aware there are different lengths and couplers for whichever application you choose so do your homework before buying a column if that's what you are doing.

As far as putting a shifter in - are you putting a console in? Most aftermarket shifters are cable operated but as you know, the factory floor shift units are not. People have made after market shifters fit into a console but it seems like a lot of extra work. You have to make the shifter mechanism work within the console brackets, there might be some modification to do.

The A.M. shifters are probably a little better too so it's probably easiest to go that route but obviously it won't appear 100% factory correct.

The linkages are a pain, I agree. There are so many different combinations of bellcranks and pivots etc. it can get confusing and expensive when piecing it together. A.M. shifter is the way to go unless you can find a 100% correct console and shifter setup for your car which as you know is hard to find.

I'm interested in this as well. My 68 vert is a column shift auto. I have a complete console and column out of a floor shift car. Just not sure if I have everything that I need.

a-20body-20floor-20gearshift-20control-20automatic-20-281-29-jpg.251528

I have 100% of floor shift conversion parts here in SC. Not available separately though.
500 usd and take the entire car.

-
Back