Common vehicle with a 8 3/4 sure grip?

-

olddog12

Reaction score
So there is a guy not to far from me who has several late 60s, early 70s cars and a few trucks that he is parting out, some VERY cheap. Im just wondering if there was any particular car or truck that almost always came with the sure grip unit? The seller has no idea what a sure grip is or if any would have them and said your more than welcome to come and check but rather than jacking a car up that has been sitting in the woods for 30 years just to check is a bit of a PITA.
So was there any car/truck ever sold almost guaranteed to have a sure grip?

Thanks Guys!

If it's been sitting in the woods for 30 years, I'm not so sure I'd trust the Suregrip anyway. Given that, just find an 8 3/4 rear, and put in the gears and traction control device that you want. Why pay a premium for a 30 y/o piece of junk?

I already have a complete 8 3/4 rear end and 2 sets of gears, they are both open carriers tho and I would like to lay a bit more rubber down. :burnout:

Any aftermarket units are crazy in price too.

If you do find one, I would shoot for finding a clutch type. It can be taken apart, cleaned, inspected and put back together with new clutches.

No telling what shape the gears and bearings would be in, but you have others, so you would just need the suregrip. I would not give a ton of money though, if I could help it.

The old telephone company vans were often fitted with 3.55 power lock.

The one I had was a 71-72 Sportsmen.

Like this:

th

Mine had a cone type suregrip in it.

A little known fact from my secret files states that if a mid 70's Dodge truck is a 4wd and has an 8 3/4" rear, but it will have one of 3 gear sets to match the Dana 44 up front, either a 3:55 to match the 3:54, a 4:10 or a 4:56! Now, since Dodge never produced a 3WD vehicle, it will also have a Suregrip! The trick is to keep your eyes out for trucks with 8 3/4" rear ends, they are not all that common as most trucks had either 9 1/4" or 9 3/4", but they are out there!! Keep it to yourself though if you find one, and buy the entire rear, housing and all, you could recoup all of your investment selling the housing and axles!! Unless you live near me, then forget I told you, it's my little secret!!! ;-)

A little known fact from my secret files states that if a mid 70's Dodge truck is a 4wd and has an 8 3/4" rear, but it will have one of 3 gear sets to match the Dana 44 up front, either a 3:55 to match the 3:54, a 4:10 or a 4:56! Now, since Dodge never produced a 3WD vehicle, it will also have a Suregrip! The trick is to keep your eyes out for trucks with 8 3/4" rear ends, they are not all that common as most trucks had either 9 1/4" or 9 3/4", but they are out there!! Keep it to yourself though if you find one, and buy the entire rear, housing and all, you could recoup all of your investment selling the housing and axles!! Unless you live near me, then forget I told you, it's my little secret!!! ;-)

:D Your secret is safe with me! Thanks for the good info too.

What would the fender tag show if it a cone/clutch type unit in it?

Depends on the year and model. I have no truck tag decoders.
If the pumpkin has a large X cast into it, then it left the factory with a SG.
Sorry I can't be of more help
Quick check; get just one wheel off the ground. Put tranny in neutral. Attempt to turn that wheel. If it won't turn, and the brake is off,then it's a SG;most likely.

A 4 speed car has a greater chance of having a sure grip than an automatic.

Trailer package cars are also likely to have one.

If it looks like it has a factory hitch and a pass side mirror...

For 66 and 67, there's an "AX" line on the fender tag.

Any stamp under the "X" indicates an SG (if it still has it...)

shouldn't there be a tag on one of the pumpkin bolts with a SG on it if it came with a sure grip?

Another little known fact, don't overlook the big C body cars in your quest for SG nirvana!! I always check the big C's, especially the 68 and older cars, which would yield you a 742 case and a clutch SG! Yea, you're more than likely to get one with a 2:94 or 2:76, but in the quest for a SG, that's not a problem!!

Trailer package cars are also likely to have one.

If it looks like it has a factory hitch and a pass side mirror...

For 66 and 67, there's an "AX" line on the fender tag.

Any stamp under the "X" indicates an SG (if it still has it...)

Is that rite...the seller has a 72 Satalite wagon with a 318, has a hitch on it too. It was running & driving last year, he wants $600 for it. That may be a good car to look into.

Tks for the wagon tip!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips to narrow the search down or at least a starting point.

Is that rite...the seller has a 72 Satalite wagon with a 318, has a hitch on it too. It was running & driving last year, he wants $600 for it. That may be a good car to look into.

Tks for the wagon tip!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips to narrow the search down or at least a starting point.

For '72 I believe you need to look for D91 as one of the options if sure grip was ordered by itself. For axle packages in an 8 3/4 I think it's A36 for 3.55sg, and A31 for 3.91sg.

Could be wrong it's been awhile since I knew all that crap. :D

-
Back